Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Welcome

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
7545 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2005  06:41 am Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

In a serious note

I would like to say G'day and welcome to all those from OZ who are making the trip over to check out this forum.

This is a family friendly forum and I am hoping you enjoy it as much as I have. I have noticed some to the mob from SS's forum already visiting.

It would be great if some of you started a thread or two. There are a lot of folks here who are interested in both the predecimal and decimal coins of Australian who would like some education.

This is not my forum it is owned by a couple named Susan & Bobby,they are good hosts.
I hope you enjoy your visits.

rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5795 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2005  12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also would like to welcome all of our Australian collectors. You all add a whole new area of numismatics to our forum and we're looking forward to learning more about your coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
980 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2005  9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SFDukie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool- between our Canadian posters and our Aussie posters- we get to see lots of QE2. Look forward to learning lots. Can one of you Aussies give me a quick rundown on Australian mintmarks?
Thanks!
Don
Edited by SFDukie
05/24/2005 9:16 pm
Learn More...
7545 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2005  9:30 pm  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decimal Mint marks are easy
‘C' mint mark (identified as minted in Canberra)
‘S' (Sydney), ‘B' (Brisbane), ‘A' (Adelaide), and ‘M' (Melbourne)

Australian pre decimal coins have been struck at a number of mints both in Australia and abroad.
To help identify from which mint a coin originates each mint adds a mark to the coin different from other mints. The mint mark is usually located near the date on the coin. There are some exceptions to this which are noted as they arise.

Mint marks on gold sovereigns:
M - Melbourne Victoria
S - Sydney New South Wales
P - Perth Western Australia
On both 1/2 sovereigns and full sovereigns with the St. George reverse the mint mark appears on the lower side of the ground above the centre of the date.

Sydney mint 1/2 sovereign and sovereigns do not have a mint mark.

1/2 sovereigns minted between 1871 and 1887 with the shield reverse have the date on the obverse and the mint mark on the reverse under the shield

Full sovereigns minted between 1871 and 1887 with the shield reverse have the date on the obverse and the mint mark on the reverse under the shield

Mint marks on pre decimal copper coins:
H - Heaton Mint in London, England used on 1/2 pennies 1912, 1914 and 1915 and pennies in 1912 and 1915 only.
I - On the reverse just above the date indicates Calcutta, India. This was used for 1/2 pennies in 1916, 1917 and 1918 and for pennies in 1917 and 1918.
I - On the obverse just below the Kings effigy indicates Bombay, India and was used for both 1/2 pennies and pennies for the years 1942 and 1943. These coins also have a dot before and a dot after the wording Half Penny and Penny respectively.
Dots - One penny 1919 with a dot below the bottom scroll indicates Melbourne mint.
One Penny 1919 with dot over the top scroll and dot below the bottom scroll indicates Melbourne mint.
One Penny 1920 dot over the bottom scroll indicates Sydney mint
One Penny 1920 dot below the bottom scroll indicates Melbourne mint
One Penny 1920 dot over the top scroll indicates Melbourne mint
One Penny 1920 dot over the top scroll and below the bottom scroll indicates Melbourne mint.
For 1/2 pennies A dot after the A of Australia indicates Perth Mint and was used in 1952 only.
A dot after the Y of Half Penny indicates Perth Mint and was used in 1942, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950 and 1951.
For pennies a dot after the A of Australia indicates Perth Mint and was used in 1952 and 1953.
A dot after the Y of Penny indicates Perth Mint and was used from 1941 to 1945, 1947, 1948, 1950, 1951 and 1955 to 1964 inclusive.
PL - In 1951 some of our 1/2 pennies and some of our pennies were minted at the London mint and this is indicated by a PL which appears just after the Y of Half Penny and Penny respectively.
K.G - All pennies with a Kangaroo reverse, include as part of their design the letters KG which appear in the field just above the Kangaroos tail. Coins minted at the Perth Mint during 1940 and 1941 have a dot between the K and the G distinguishing them as coins struck in Perth. This dot is not always clearly defined and can appear as anything from a clear dot to a low barely distinguishable lump.

Mint marks on pre decimal silver coins:
H - Heaton Mint in London, England used on one shilling in 1915 and florin in 1914 and 1915.
M - Melbourne mint used on the Threepence 1916 to 1921 inclusive, Sixpence 1916 to 1920 inclusive, Shilling 1916, 1917, 1918 and 1920, Florin 1916 to 1919 inclusive.
S - San Francisco Threepence 1942 to 1944 inclusive, Sixpence 1942 to 1944 inclusive, Shilling 1942 to 1944 inclusive, Florin 1942 to 1944 inclusive.
D - Denver Three pence 1942 and 1943 only, Sixpence 1942 and 1943 only.
PL - Royal Mint, London, both Three pence and Sixpence for 1951 only.
Dot - Before the S of shilling denotes Perth Mint for the year 1946 only.
Star - A "*" above the date of the 1921 shilling denotes Sydney mint.
rggoodie
aka Richard
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1091 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2005  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add toast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also on Non-Circulating Legal Tender (Decimal)
E is for Eureka
H is for Hobart
G is for Gallipoli

Then you have 146 "Privy marks" on Bullion coins all from the Perth Mint.
A privy mark is a small picture that is of some current or historicial event or design, placed on a Bullion coin, making more bullion coin varieties and lower mintages per variety.
Designs range from the American flag to Santa Claus even 15 of the US state quarters.
Learn More...
7545 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2005  11:38 pm  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by toast

Also on Non-Circulating Legal Tender (Decimal)
E is for Eureka
H is for Hobart
G is for Gallipoli

Then you have 146 "Privy marks" on Bullion coins all from the Perth Mint.
A privy mark is a small picture that is of some current or historicial event or design, placed on a Bullion coin, making more bullion coin varieties and lower mintages per variety.
Designs range from the American flag to Santa Claus even 15 of the US state quarters.

Sorry I forgot these- It's late here
rggoodie
aka Richard
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2005  7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is good to see this Forum has a section on Aussie Coins. I am another "darksider" who have ventured beyond our shores.
Valued Member
Australia
161 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2005  12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secretsquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is great, thanks all
Have recognised a few names here already, and no I don't mean the ones from the aussie forum
Learn More...
7545 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2005  3:38 pm  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Ken
You found my other home
rggoodie
aka Richard
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5795 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2005  4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Ken! We're getting a really nice representation of all you Aussie collectors. I read through this section regularly and have come to the conclusion that Australia has some of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen! The artistry in your modern coinage is so creative and detailed. I just love it and I'm learning new things every day. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2005  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing a fair number of Aussies in this Forum....perhaps we can all apply for the "Green Card".....[:p]
Learn More...
7545 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2005  12:01 am  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have a special card for diggers
Its Red just like the color of the sunburnt country
rggoodie
aka Richard
Australia
26 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2005  05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craig_vt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gday all , I am another thats follwed the links and ended up here . Excellent setup with loads of info well done to all , and keep up the hard work
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2005  07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classybabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All, I am another Aussie who also followed the links to this Coin Community. I am also Craig_vt's better half.

Learn More...
7545 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2005  07:10 am  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome craig_vt and classy babe
hope you enjoy your visits.
rggoodie
aka Richard
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2005  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Classybabe

Hi All, I am another Aussie who also followed the links to this Coin Community. I am also Craig_vt's better half.

Yikes, the "cheeky" one is here as well...you poor Yanks...[:p]
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05