Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How to tell a 1963 Kennedy US Note?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  1:27 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Portage Lakes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey All,

I was hoping to add another piece of US history to my collection. How can I tell a President Kennedy issued 1963 United States Note?

I know Fed notes have the green seal, United States Notes have red but how can I tell the exact ones that were issued by the executive order 111110?

By the way this is my first post and I am glad I found this forum.

PL

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are referring to a green seal 1963 note from the Dallas BEP.
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laxmaster92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never heard of anything like that. Maybe you could explain further.
There are no 1963 1$ notes that are red seal. Maybe you are mistaken?>
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Portage Lakes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On June 4th, 1963 President Kennedy signed executive order 11110 which allowed the US government to make it's own money and bypass the Federal Reserve. The 4+ billion dollars of United States Notes (backed by US gold and silver) were put in to circulation in denominations of $2 and $5. The $10's and $20's were printed but never released as he was assassinated and the program was shut down.

I was hoping someone here could help me figure out how to correctly identify these specific US notes so I could acquire one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okay I know what you mean know. Red seals $2.00 with the funny back (Monticello) reverse. They were called United States notes.

Image: display.jpg
14.28 KB

Image: display2.jpg
13.38 KB

Edited by scoutjim99
09/30/2007 08:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as your question goes I did not see any of that info in my book, so the best that icould tell you is the Red seal with United States Note plus the motto addede to the reverse
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Portage Lakes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you scoutjim99 for looking in to this! Was the example you posted only printed in 1963? The notes printed by the executive order 11110 were only printed in 1963. I have seen similar notes like you posted in the past but I have not been 100% sure they were the notes that I am looking for. I am hoping to find some definite description of these Kennedy issued notes.

PL
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one I posted is from collection, and I have 1928 US Note, as well as 1953 and 1963, and that goes for the $5.00 as well. I hope this helps
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the only note that I know of called a Kennedy note. that does not mean that I am correct and you are wrong. It is the only relevant answer that I know of.

The note I am posting is called,

1963 federal reserve note The alleged Kennedy Assassination note

Because it is dated 1963 and it is from Dallas with the number 11, however it is really a coincidence
but very curious

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

Image: Kennedy1.jpg
16.82 KB

Image: kennedyrev.jpg
16.11 KB

You might want to try Wikipedia
Edited by scoutjim99
09/29/2007 6:49 pm
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if I am reading this website http://www.john-f-kennedy.net/execu...der11110.htm correctly the notes you are asking about should say "silver certificate" on them since they were backed by silver just like the ones did back in the early days. Near the end of this long webpage it says he changed the backing of the $1 and $2 to gold instead of silver and it also states that the author has a $5 note that has the heading "United States Note" on it, so it should say one or the other I am assuming (I am not sure which because I have never seen one of these) but if it doesn't say either chances are its not currency made from this bill being signed
Edited by Bryan1315
09/30/2007 09:23 am
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I found one! here is a picture of a $2 note, if you look above Jefferson in this picture you will see the heading "United States Note" instead of "Federal Reserve Note"

Here is one on eBay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-2-FR-1513-...VF_W0QQitemZ110175683468QQihZ001QQcategoryZ40033QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and if you look there is actually quite a few on there for very little money. Here is two consecutive numbered United States Notes http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie...e-53bb9&sp=1

Here is a $5 US Note

From the way it looks you would be hard pressed to find a 1963 series note that wasn't a "United States Note" because unlike coins notes don't change their dates every year, they only change the dates where there is a change in design so chances are if its a 1963 note red seal it is a US Note that was created because of this bill because I haven't seen a Federal Reserve Note with that date on eBay except for the $1 barr notes that are dated 1963 and they have the regular green seal.
Edited by Bryan1315
09/30/2007 09:58 am
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laxmaster92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there are no red seal 2$ bills or 5$ bills that say federal reserve note on them! Every red seal says USN
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that was what I said? I guess my early morning ramblings wasn't very understandable, what I meant is you can look for a red seal with the date 1963 and chances are it was made because of this bill being signed by JFK. Sorry for any confusion. All that being said I like this radar note

Edited by Bryan1315
09/30/2007 11:25 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Portage Lakes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for looking in to this!!

I agree that this is the most likely case. I went to my local shop to get both the $2 and $5 notes BUT of course they were closed, lol. I will pick them up on Monday.

Thanks,

PL
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2007  1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Portage Lakes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also bought the $1 1963 K note as shown in scoutjim99's post. I noticed mine is signed by Henry H. Fowler and his is signed by C. Douglas Dillion. Does anyone know the significance of this?

PL
Edited by Portage Lakes
10/06/2007 1:34 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05