Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

fake trade dollar

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  5:16 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add m9frank to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I paid $10 for a fake trade dollar about a year ago. It doesn't weigh enough to be authentic, and many of the denticles around the edge are filled in. I don't believe it was made recently, it shows a lot of wear.

Anyway, the guy I got it from didn't try to scam me, though he did say he thought it was made in the days when trade dollars were in use.

I've read trade dollars ( and other US coins ) were widely counterfeited in the day. Is there a way to confirm the approx. date or era this fake dollar was made? (I don't have pics, this is more of a general fake coin question, though I am in the process of buying a camera with good macro specs)

Does anyone collect counterfeit coins? I really can't explain why I like this coin so much, except it is very unusual.

Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IHPO8S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is a replica 1875 S trade dolllar. The weight is good and it looks okay but most people could tell it is a replica. This coin has a low silver content at best.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m9frank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a "modern" fake?
Does it matter?

Is there a market for declared fake coins?
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IHPO8S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was told it was old. It looked neat so I bought it. Does it look similar to your's?
Learn More...
United States
16702 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  6:49 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is there a market for declared fake coins?

Yes. People collect counterfeits, and there are some around whose knowledge of these fakes is good enough to (roughly) date them from details. Especially Trade Dollars, which were widely counterfeited. I'm not one of those people, but hopefully one will wander into this thread.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m9frank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours looks a bit better.

I wonder if a coin made by a counterfeiter a century ago, give or take, isn't worthy of our fascination? At least makes it collectable?

I'd collect this type of coin if I had a reliable method of identifying and rating them.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1sikevo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since all counterfeits are technically illegal, is there a danger that the Secret Service would confiscate your collection one day ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m9frank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pics IHPO8S. It is a great looking coin.

Thanks to all for your input.
Learn More...
United States
21273 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Since all counterfeits are technically illegal, is there a danger that the Secret Service would confiscate your collection one day ?

IMHO, probably not. Just do not try to resell them as authentic pieces or pass them off as legal tender. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor have I researched this.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2008  09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay......there go my plans for buying any trade dollars any time soon....... seen them at coin auctions many times last summer ..........was going to buy a few this year.....but I'm not good enough to know the counterfeit from the original one........ I could pay $400.00 for a $15.00 Trade dollar ? Not gonna happen......
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2008  11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1sikevo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eaglefoot - just do your research and you should be able to spot the fake. Most counterfeits are not that good. If in doubt, pass on it. You can also buy from certified auctions (Teletrade, Heritage).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2008  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do counterfeit trade dollars ever come with chop marks on them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2008  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1sikevo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake Trade $ w/ chopmark.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2008  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You gotta knowthat you know your Trade Dollars if you purchase them raw.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2008  8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1sikevo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And if you're not willing to do your research, get a top-tier TPG slabbed coin from a certified auction.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2008  08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gene Carr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am building a wonderful fake coin collection of the most faked US coins. Have 1909 s vdb cent, 1916 d dime, 1893 S Morgan, 1856 Flying cent, a couple of $3 Gold proudly made by the famous counterfeiter OMEGA, 1920s St Gaudins GOLD, several other counterfeit gold coins.
Got At least 60 US and China trade dollars, Jap Yen.
When looking at trade or yen, have a decent digital pocket scale and know your coin weights. The Real US will be right on, you can take a chance on the China within .1 of a gram.
There is some very cool history with the China dollars. Many "Fantasy Coins" are worth considerable $
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05