Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Barber Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  11:41 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add OldGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What is a good price to pay for AG3 - G4 common dates?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  11:47 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins should sell for little more than generic silver quarters. 90% silver coins go for nearly 14X face value right now, so I'd expect to pay about $3.50 to $4.00 for low-grade, common-date Barber quarters.

The way I've been getting outbid on eBay lately, it's possible my estimate is a bit low!
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the price of silver, I think most common dates and low grade coins will be worth just melt. Coins like Barbers (dimes, quarters and halves) that used to have a small premium over melt will no longer have that premium as melt value has exceeded that
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add springcypress to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the things I've noticed and am in the process of starting is putting together "sets" from the junk bins and then selling them on eBay with title such as "10 different Barbers"

Just today I stopped by a store in Houston and picked up 17 different Barber dimes @ $1.40 each and then picked up 2 oldish used barber albums for $1. My total outlay is right at $20. I've got enough spare barbers to put together 2 auctions of 10... which should sell for around $15 each.

I'd suspect the same thing can be done with quarters... I almost did this except they didn't have any old quarter albums in the junk box.

(edit: and oh yeah... around $4 each seems to be the going rate at stores with eBay prices running a little higher)

(2nd edit: My math skills aren't that great at 2 in the morning...the above example is horrible)
Edited by springcypress
03/15/2008 11:24 am
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quarter about $3-7.00 Dimes $1.50-4.50 Half dollars $7.00-30.00 on half's it depends on grade and mint mark a G-4 can still be say $25.00 due to mintage & mint mark
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy all the quarters you can under $5--I can't find them for less than that anywhere.
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
with the price of silver, I think most common dates and low grade coins will be worth just melt. Coins like Barbers (dimes, quarters and halves) that used to have a small premium over melt will no longer have that premium as melt value has exceeded that

if silver goes up in value so should the value of those coins. A 100 year old silver quarter should still have a premium over its silver value.
Most dates of Barber quarters seem to have a mintage of less than a couple million, most of the washington silver quarters have mintages of about 20 million or higher. The average Barber quarter could be considered a key date compared to those produced later on.

Even in a low grade, an older coin with a mintage 10-50 times less than another should be worth more even if its just a couple dollars.
a worn 1911 s Barber quarter (mintage of 988 thousand) should be worth more than a worn 1964 D Washington quarter (mintage over 704 million). the 1911 s Barber quarter is worth 11 dollars in good condition (making it about 5-6 dollars in about good condition) which is only about a dollar more than any other silver quarter would cost. With rising silver prices, the values of all Barber quarters have to go up.
Edited by grmike
03/15/2008 6:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12915 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prices on coins completely depends on where you look. At a local flea market one person sells all Mercury dimes for $1. If you purchase more than several the price drops to about $0.90 each. Grade, dates and mint marks make no difference. Standing Liberty and Liberty Head Quarters go for $2 each. That is depending on how they are selling though. If going fast he jumps the prices to $3 or $4. This particular person has some type of great source for coins, is not a coin dealer so to speak, but specializes in coins. All prices of coins are based on the coin type, not a date, mint or grade.
At one coin show there is a dealer that has a junk box and his prices for those types of coins are about the same except absolutely no good dates or grades there. Anther coin show tomorrow usually had the best prices on all coins. I'll have to check out how the Silver/Gold prices effect this show.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05