Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steel Pennies and Indian Head Cents in Coin Rolls

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
71 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  3:10 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vince220 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello, I am new to this forum but I have been collecting coins for a while now. Recently, I have started looking through rolls of pennies. I was just wondering what my chances are of finding a steel penny or an Indian Head cent in rolls of coins. Also, I wanted to know how common San Francisco pennies are in coin rolls. I live in the midwest if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

sorry, I accidently put this in the wrong category and I wasn't sure how to move it.

Edited by Forum Mom to move into Modern US Coin Forum from Varieties/Errors Forum

Edited by vince220
07/29/2008 3:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add seattleMD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly enough, I started coin roll hunting pennies earlier this year and wouldn't you know it, in my FIRST box of purchased cent rolls ($25.00) I found a steel cent. Probably $2000.00 later, I still haven't found another one. I have found I think 3-4 IHs.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add logan_seeley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't find Indian Heads that often. I haven't searched through rolls for very long, but I've found one. There pretty rare to find though. Welcome to the forum!

~Logan~
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vince

Welcome to the Forum .

Indian and steel cents used to be much more common in rolls , as a kid back in the 60's I used to find them regularly , but as time has gone by they have become less freequent but I still find one every once in awhile .

Wheat cents have been about 3 or 4 to the thousand recently but that number also varies depending on where I get the rolls or accumulations from .

Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sir Ferrari to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

After 100 years, most of the Indians have been pulled from circulation. I've never found one in a roll.

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As recently as last year, I used to find many S-mint Lincolns from the 70s in rolls. However, as copper hoarding gained popularity, I'm seeing fewer all the time. From what I've heard from other collectors, finding S coins in the Midwest is harder than here.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add seattleMD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vince, you might want to check out another forum dedicated to coin roll hunting on the treasurenet site. I learned a lot of what I know now by reading through their threads and asking questions. This forum is more around identifying coin errors and varieties then coin roll hunting per say.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....d,224.0.html
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  5:08 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found one 1943 and two indian heads in about $500 of searching. I don't keep track of the s-mints.

WheatieFan
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2008  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vince220 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your replies. I'll be sure to check your link seattleMD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2008  02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I've been known to find a few Indian Head cents , now and then. "Steel" cents show up on occasion too.

I got emails from two people in the past week that have found Indian Head cents in rolls.

Have Fun,
Bill
Edited by foundinrolls
07/30/2008 02:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2008  08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Takes a lot of searching effort to make a score and you might get discouraged before you get lucky !! Stay consistent and focused and you'll make some "finds"....

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2008  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kestrelia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. In my experience I've found an Indian or steel penny at about the same rate, 1 per 100,000 pennies searched. A lot depends on the area of the country you live in. I'll probably find more wheats/older coins than you being that I'm in the Northeast, but you'll probably find a better mint variety than I will.

Brian
www.cheapgreenandhappy.blogspot.com
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2008  10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cheungsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my penny roll-hunting, I have yet to find an Indian Head cent, but I did find a steel penny...not in the greatest shape, but it still was a steel penny!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1974 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2008  11:38 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience at the bank, it is easy to say that indians should actually show up more frequently than steel cents because most banks use magnets to remove foriegn objects from their coin machines. Since the steelies are magnetic they get sucked away while the indian heads sneak by and stay. I've found two indian heads roll searching outof maybe 10 -15 boxes. I've never found a steel cent roll searching, though I have found dozens of them attached to the magnets at the bank and I sometimes throw one or two into the bags just for the heck of it :)
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2008  12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Keith Cooner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me and my wife just started roll hunting a little while ago. Last night we opened our second box and low and behold her first roll had a 1909 VDB wheatie and a 1903 Indian Head penny. I was so jealouse I stayed up all nightand opened every roll myself. Out of that whole box those are the only two that were worth keeping, the rest were just new pennies.
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2008  11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terror Of Zanarkand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually found 7 Indian cents at work the other day, no scarce dates, all in the 1900's but it was still pretty cool. I also found an absolutely HIDEOUS steel cent the next day as well. That steel cent may be the grossest coin I've ever found, but I kept it anyway.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05