Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Busting open Mint Sets: what would you do?

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2008  11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it depends on whether the coin in question was only available as part of a mint set, or if it was a circulating coin.

Take, for example, the snowy owl dollar -- the only way to get it is to buy the mint set. You're a dollar collector. So, do you break open the set for the dollar, or do you leave it as is?

It all depends on what you'd do with the coin once you got it out. Do you put your coins into 2x2's, or into some sort of folder? If you do, then you will have noticable spaces where they are supposed to go, and you will want to add them.

But then, you wonder if you aren't actually losing money by breaking the set open, and therein lies the dilemma. Yes, you could recoup some of this money if you sell the other coins, but you have to find a buyer for them first. Conceivably, there may be a fifty-cent piece collector out there who would be glad to get the one you want to sell, and you may be able to get rid of the other coins the same way, but I think the likelihood of this would drop as you go down in the denominations, unless of course, there are short strikes in them, or some other reason people would want them.

Of course, then, your collection looks better because it's complete, and that might make you happy enough to ignore any shortfall you incur. If you're satisfied with that, fine.

Naturally, the easiest way around this is to buy the coin you want from someone else that has broken the set for a different coin they wanted. But, of course, this doesn't happen as often as one would like, and you might wait forever for the coin you want out of that year's set (although this has been shortened by being able to shop on the internet).

Personally, I don't break them. I do collect loonies and in the cases where there is a "mint set only" coin, what I do is scan a 2x2 on Paint, and put the image of the coin in question in the "hole". On the white part of the 2x2 scan where one would normally write, I do the usual write-up, but add the wording below, "ONLY AVAILABE IN MINT SET". I then print the scan, cut it out, and glue it to the front of a 2x2 and put that in my holder. I have the coin in question, but it is in the mint set, but the coin page still looks complete because of the placeholder I have made.

I find that this does the trick, and does it in a way that satisfies me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2008  8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jays-Dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WpgLwr, I'm not sure if that idea of scanning pics to put on 2 X 2s is genius or crazy. I'm sort of leaning to the latter, but....
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2008  1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add karrlot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bust them open. If there are other coins in the set that you don't need, don't sell them. Start collecting them!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2008  01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought lots of sets and break out coins to complete collections like the Loon series of birds like the Jack miner goose ,the swan etc and put them in folders as tributaries if the mint puts out to many I don't care ,I just get the ones I like .
The 25 cent caribou is an example of a coin I like to have in my quarter collection , some years only available in sets.
Valued Member
Canada
209 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2009  02:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im an avid collector of Canadian pl sets[un cir sets] This has been an unexplored area due to a poor reputation by some collectors as low quality.To the bright side I have many sets that collectors would dream of owning due to there rarities I got for bargain prices.Many of these rare sets get cut up and sent to certification services to fill the slot on many coin binders.My goal is to keep them intact and making the best collection of these known in Canadian content.As for the very common sets,cut as many as you want.I have had dealers sell special sets to me, due to preserving this heritage.
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2009  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I m glad to see that there are some out there who would break open a mint set to in order to add to a collection. This is a question that I've struggled with for some time now. I didn't want to decrease the value of the coins in the set by breaking them open but at the same time I don't collect "coin sets". I would prefer to add to my dollar, quarter, and nickel etc. collection.
By the way can anyone tell me is there a difference in the value of a lower denomination coin taken from a proof set and one taken from a specimen set. To the naked eye there does seem to be a difference in the quality. I understand that a proof set is stuck twice does this apply to the specimen as well?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05