Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do banks carry 50 cent coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  01:50 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey, I've been going to banks roll hunting, but I haven't asked about 1/2 dollars; do banks have them in Canada?

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually you can find them at most banks if you ask for them. Don't really expect to find silver ones, though, they are definitely few and far between. "Fifty cent pieces" (the correct Canadian terminology) usually don't circulate -- most people hoard them when they encounter them, thinking they're rare or something.
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add roots to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Silver 50 cent coins are larger than the nickle ones. Therefore, it was VERY easy to spot and hoard all the silver.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  08:17 am  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've lived in Canada for the past 40+ years and frequent banks on a regular basis searching in vain through rolls of half dollars. My goal is to find the all ellusive 1921 half dollar. Like the old saying goes:" the hunt is better than the slaughter!".
I'll just have to keep hunting, I guess?
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'm glad they're out there. As for people hoarding them, not everyone does: I overheard someone paying with a 50 cent coin, and the cashier remarked that she would need another slot for this new denomination. I wish I'd bought it, I only have two 50 cent pieces right now, but I'll definitely look for more!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
965 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2008  10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Topher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rarely find them at the banks when I visit, but some of the tellers know me and do save anything "out of the ordinary" and wait for me to come collect them. I have managed to pick up a few nickel 50 cent coins here and there and over the Christmas Holidays I plan to sit down and see how close I am to a complete collection.
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2008  10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been going to banks for coin rolls etc for very long yet, and I've tried a few different banks, but whenever I ask about coin rolls, they immediately know I collect coins. I've actually been pretty successful with coin roll hunting so far, not so much with how old the coins are, but the variety. I did get a 1947 ML cent a few days ago (at a dump bank, as it turns out. Someone's name and phone number were on half of the rolls I looked through.)

Also, what about American coins? I'm sure they probably get them pretty often (though more so in the summer - tourist season ). I wouldn't mind getting some more American quarters and halves. The Currency Exchange place is a litte more out of the way, but I'm sure they would have them there.
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2008  2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add legion1349 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually managed to pick up a whole slew of 50 cent pieces ( 4 of them were silver 11 were nickel)
At the same time I also came across the old dollar coins ( one of which was the 1958 BC commemorative dollar, and the 1970 Manitoba dollar)

So the coins are out there, you just have to search really hard and come across a teller who actually knows what you are talking about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2009  9:55 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last time in Winnipeg - about a year ago- a drug store clerk gave me my change. I didn't notice that one of the coins was a 2002 50 piece. I thought it was a foreign coin given to me in change by mistake, but I decided to keep it. Glad I did and it's in near-mint condition.

Ken

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2084 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2009  10:36 pm  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an ex-banker with the Bank of Montreal and CIBC and none of the branches I worked in (both with a large commercial base and upscale clients) stocked 50 cent pieces. The odd few would come in via customers, but they would either be kept by the tellers or saved for clients the tellers they knew were looking for such items. It's good to develop a relationship with the tellers at your bank(s).
Valued Member
Canada
384 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1945V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have gotten many 50 cent pieces from the Post Office.
These are key spots where the mint unloads freshly minted coins.

In past when I paid for stuff at the PO, the cashier asked if I wanted change in 50 cent pieces. Last time this happened I asked for the maximum I could get and was given ten 2002 50 cent pieces in one shot.
Edited by 1945V
03/12/2009 08:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the Post Office was the major distribution point for the Golden Jubilee 50-cent piece. The idea was to hand out as many as possible to the public, and you could even buy the rolls at face from the counter clerk.

Other than that incident, though, I don't think that the PO is the major funnel of this coin to the public on a regular basis. I imagine that even the 02 coins were hoarded by most people; they probably went right from the Postal clerk right to the cookie jar.

The denomination is one that just won't circulate, partly because of it's size/weight and the fact that most tills won't accomodate it. If they downsized it to between a quarter and a loony, then maybe it would gain more acceptance, but tradition seems to forbid them messing with it. All they would really have to do, though, is just come out with one that would circulate and they could mint it as well as the traditional one, which would mean more money for the Mint. It would be an excellent platform for a "Prime Ministers of Canada" series.

I still find that the bank is the easiest place to get older ones, and while banks don't "stock" rolls of 50-cent pieces, most clerks have loose ones rattling around in their cash drawers from time to time.

It's really a coin that shares the same type of status as the US $2 bill -- it can be found, but most people hoard them in the mistaken belief that they're not made anymore.
Valued Member
Canada
437 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2009  04:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bank has a bunch of 50 cents, and nickel dollars, which included 5 Trade dollars. They are not kept with the other change, but you have to ask for the teller that handles the damaged money- it is stored. I purchased about $60 in good dollar coins- better condition, 1968 and 1974 varieties, and the Trade dollars. They probably have as much in 50 cent coins. It helps to talk to the tellers. Every so often I ask for change in 25 dollar bills- and then explain that they were only made in 1935, and are worth thousands of dollars. I took in an issue of CCN that had the auction pictures of a $25 dollar bill, so they could see what I was talking about, which serves several purposes- it says I am a collector, and interested in unusual items. The tellers remember, and seem to go out of their way to help me. A couple of years ago, when people were looking for the plate numbers on the 1967 bills, I went through 168 which had come into the bank, made notes on what I saw, and purchased 5 great condition with serial numbers, 1 asterisk, and all the unusual plate combinations that I came across. Another person in the bank lineup asked to purchase the rest, and he left happy, too.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05