Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916-d NGC Merc....I went nuts

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2010  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin for the dollar! Certainly worth sacrificing some for!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7044 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2010  7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Flowers, perfume, gift card, etc.

I do it all the time!
I saw it detailed in a Muscle Car magazine. When you price an old car (expensive coin also works here), you have to also figure in the "Spousal Tax". ("Spousal tax" equates the dollar amount of things you have to buy your wife/loved one to smooth over your frivolous (to her/him) purchase).
Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2010  07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I continue to learn from the folks here on CCF. I definitely
need approaches to negotiate a deals with the wife. It's a process,
a slow process
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2010  09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Spousal Tax"

I love it! Couldn't have summed it up any better!

Johnny, you've got me foaming at the mouth wanting one now!

Must.....focus.......
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2010  3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do it all the time!
I saw it detailed in a Muscle Car magazine. When you price an old car (expensive coin also works here), you have to also figure in the "Spousal Tax". ("Spousal tax" equates the dollar amount of things you have to buy your wife/loved one to smooth over your frivolous (to her/him) purchase).

HAHA! So is spousal tax based purely on the purchase price of the coin? (ie $1,244 for the 16d dime), or if I sell $800 worth of coins, does it diminish to the "net" cost ($444)?
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2010  9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The return of Coincrazed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CONGRATULATIONS, JOHNNY, MY MAN! So you saw that auction too! I had it in my mom's watch list for several days. I was actually tempted to put throw in a bid of $1500 but thought better of it. I was thinking "Even if I got it, how in the heck would I be able to pay for it?" Tell your wife you DESERVE that coin after only owning an About Good-3 for years! I plan to sell my silver halves and 14 silver dimes as well as using my savings to buy one in Good-4. Sometime, when I have more key date coins in my collection, I'll probably upgrade it to a Very Good or a Fine. I am soooooo envious of you. Already my keyboard and screen are COVERED in drool just LOOKING at it! - coincrazed
Edited by The return of Coincrazed
05/15/2010 9:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2627 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2010  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was worth whatever Spousal Tax you'll have to pay!
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2010  08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my wife is not laughing....she says, "This is like Boys Own Adventure (magazine)" - about boys shooting catapults, making campfires, and doing all sorts of boyish adventurish stuff, also pointing out that I dont pay Spousal Tax.

If I did, it wouldnt be flowers or dinner.

Try:

Hermes and Chanel perfumes
and
handbags
Hermes
M Kors
M Jacobs

Value-added tax ! (I may as well buy two coins)
Gasp.

Edited by j_h_s
05/16/2010 08:52 am
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2010  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was actually tempted to put throw in a bid of $1500 but thought better of it. I was thinking "Even if I got it, how in the heck would I be able to pay for it?"

Thanks coincrazed, lol. You would have had it by a landslide with a bid of $1,500...
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2010  3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is PQ for the grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2010  3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add delaner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah... the joys of not having a spouse... =)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2220 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  2:30 pm  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I am tempted to look for one. I love Mercury dimes but have been avoiding this "wallet killer" for so long now.
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2010  3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New pictures. The coin is not nearly as dark in hand as the seller's photos indicate. It still has some crust and toning, but it's pretty light in color. There is no scratch on liberty's chin, but there is a light one in front of her nose. The reverse actually has some remaining luster, believe it or not; around the lettering! The reverse is awesome for a VG-08! I'm happy with it and will be keeping it.

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2010  5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wvrichard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful!! Your pictures are better than the sellers. From your pictues it looks more like a VG-10.
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2010  8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add delaner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm... I hadn't thought about a polarizing filter, but Johnny - if you have one, you might try it to cut down the glare from the slab. You may be able to jury rig a pair of polarizing sunglasses in front of the lens... you can compensate the exposure through the lens or in post... =)

That would show *even better* how incredible your latest joy is... :D
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05