Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Find of a Lifetime or Tantalizing Tease?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  07:54 am Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I won an auction on this coin last week and absolutely can't wait to get it and find out for sure one way or the other. The narrative stated seller was a non-coin dealer who sold middle-eastern coins and had had this one in his possession for over 20 years. Needing money ... yada yada. It appears to be a PCGS-type slab. Upon close scrutiny (as close as a photo can be), the scratches seem to be in the plastic face and not the coin. From the unscratched areas, the coin looks flawless. Comments/observations?

"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
2293 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see wear in the hair above the ear.
and it looks cleaned, just an unnatural color, and look.
TreasHunt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  08:41 am  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had thought about the wear on the ear too. But I looked at the PCGS pricing site and one of the three MS-64's they showed of this coin had the same weak strike area in the hair above the ear. It's just pie in the sky at this point, but I'm an eternal optimist! It makes life more exciting.
Learn More...
United States
13368 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  09:06 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From these pictures the coin does appear to have wear and does look like it's been cleaned. I would like to see better pictures before attempting a grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  09:14 am  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I get the coin, I will break it out of the slab and submit better photos.... paleoguy
Learn More...
United States
16725 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  11:04 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even in the poor pictures, one can see substantial wear on the eagle's breast and in the hair. Although even San Francisco strikes show weakness directly above the ear, it does not extend all the way to the forehead. I'm gonna wildly guess the technical merit at EF45-AU50ish, with no comment yet on the originality of the surfaces.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add delaner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow! How are you guys telling this one has been cleaned?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the rest of the posters, and the coin definitely looks harshly cleaned. The overall bright, unnatural look give my that suspicion.

No offense Paleoguy but maybe you should try looking at more examples of problem free and cleaned Morgans in order not to buy one that's been cleaned or in the long run counterfeit.

I may be wrong on both counts though, pictures can often be deceiving.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  6:55 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice all. The redeeming quality of this purchase is that there in a seven day return policy in effect. So if, in fact, the coin is less than I expect (AU), then I will return it and only be out postage. On the other hand, if the marred surface of the holder is distorting the coin's surfaces and it is a great find - then things are warm and fuzzy. I wouldn't have purchased it if there had been a "no return" policy. Anticipation is a nice feeling enjoyed by all.
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF polished IMO, there are definitely better deals to be found, just search eBay thoroughly and be careful
Learn More...
United States
16725 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  8:23 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno, guys. I didn't see enough evidence to conclude it was a cleaned coin.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reflectiveness at that lower level grade just makes me really really suspicious...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1506 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2010  9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This date is one that's often "upgraded" by cleaning as there's a big jump in price from XF to AU. For this reason, many dealers are even wary about purchasing an AU when it's not been cleaned; been there. As for the condition of this coin, the pics lead me to agree with the consensus of XF - cleaned. Judging solely from the pics, the coin appears too uniformly bright but lackluster.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snook to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too hard to tell without the coin in hand or much better pictures...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2010  08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm dubious about sellers explaining why theyre selling coins..particularly key dates. Who cares?

What does, "pcgs-like slab" mean? Does the slab have any label at all?

are you sure that coin is authentic? I do not like the look of the denticles at 10 and 11 o'clock.

I am on the verge of alleging it's a fake.

One way I think I can tell it's been cleaned is by the imperfections in the field in front of the face. it looks like whatever soiled the coin was lifted out of the pits. Polished, too.

shoot me now.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2010  11:30 am  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well JHS, I posted what I had to go on. I have no clue who's slab it's in. The seller posted photos just as I posted here. The CONSTRUCTION of the slab is the same as a PCGS slab, but it could be PQRSWXZY slab as far as I know at this point. It's just fun to ebb and flow on a topic like this until the moment of truth arrives (i.e., I GET THE COIN)and take it to a dealer/friend of mine to once and for all find out the truth. Thanks for stirring the pot! I'll bet ya a holed nickel it's real. Deal?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05