Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this $2 bill worth more then $2?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  11:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lcz06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'll let the pictures do the talking but I came across this $2 bill today and on the back it has some weird markings on one end. Just wondering what it might be and if it's considered rare?

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lcz06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the real links for a closer look. Thanks

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1725/2billb.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5123/2billf.jpg
Pillar of the Community
United States
3361 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hard to tell but it looks like over-inking which does have a premium over face.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you claiming to have this thing in hand?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lcz,

Looks like you have a partial offset. $2 notes will command a higher premium than regular FRN's and should be worth more than $100 for that note in XF + condition.

Peace
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a reason for asking if this thing was in hand.

I would hope not, as this would imply that someone is trying to fool everyone here.

I imagine that these are internet photos, and there are several reasons (some innocent, and some devious) that the note looks as it does (none of them originating at the BEP though).

First of all genuine $2 notes (in hand) do not have dashes across the top margin, nor do they have advertising logos in the lower right quadrant.

Secondly, plates (be they face or back plates) are approximately the same size. This is not.

The area shown is of the 'mirror image' of a FACE design. Only the face plate itself is a mirror image of the design printed on a note..... BEP plates ARE backwards in design, they will not PRINT or transfer backwards.

The pictures supplied by the OP are computer generated, by 'who' was my question (as to "is this thing in hand?").

Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lcz06, to clarify, and to let you know that I am doing no finger pointing in your direction, let me say this:

I KNOW that you do not have this note in hand looking like this. I believe that you were merely contemplating the note based on the internet photos that you found somewhere, and wanted some honest opinions on it.

My advice is to steer clear of any seller who cannot post clear pictures. The boarders of this note are not shown, in addition to all of the other squirrely things about those photos.

Buying notes on the internet is a very risky business. Recent technological advancements enable reverse imaging and subsequent superimposition to many home computers / scanners. Be very wary. Value of this note = $2.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maichinht to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great observation Zeewool. I am impressed!
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be impressed maichinht, be wise. I'm not sure what the original concept of this site was, but I use it as a fun place, and a place to learn and share.

I have learned some things here, and have shown my ignorance at many more times, but most of all, it has been fun.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2010  09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't own a two dollar bill, but if I did, I would post a picture of it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05