Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Federal Reserve banks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  4:22 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add parkquarters to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I bet it is easyer to put together a state qtr set at face value now do to the economy! http://wallstreet.blogs.fortune.cnn...in-quarters/

Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those efforts have reduced penny, nickel and dime orders to the U.S. Mint by 31%, and left the Federal Reserve banks holding their thinnest inventories of those coins in a decade.
And this is why we cannot find 2009 and 2010 coins in circulation.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Fed has so many $1 coins and so little consumer demand for them that it is considering spending $6 million to store them all. Since 2001, Roseman said, the Federal Reserve banks have taken 110 million dollar coins into inventory which is 86 million more than they ordered from the U.S. mint.
More wasted money. Get rid of the one dollar Federal Reserve Note and start sending these to the banks instead!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interestingly I've been asking banks lately for rolls of $1 coins and most do not have them- they shipped them off to the Federal Reserve. So even when there is a little bit of demand, seems hard to get them. Banks I guess don't have enough safe space to store them for more than a month or two.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would not surprise me to see a substantial decrease in the amount of certain mintages in upcoming years.
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of hoping that mintage stay relatively flat and we can buy them more easily at closer to face. Finding a Presidential dollar in circulation is impossible and I don't think my bank has ever gotten any. I'd be happy to buy a lightly circulated $1 for a $1 and I think a lot of people would (to jbucks point)
Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lack of baby dollars in circulation is one of the reasons that I have given up on building a P/D/S set (the other being the obscured mint mark once inserted into a Dansco).

However, I would rethink this decision if they decided to release the stockpile and I started seeing them regularly.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12930 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I go to several banks in my area for different things. At Bank of America they almost act as if they are going to use force to make you take those little baby sized dollars. At every teller window they have them in a coin thing and ask everyone if they want some. I'm just waiting for them to hold a gun on me to force the issue.
Tellers tell me they are not allowed to save or order half dollars for any reason yet those silly baby dollars are all over the place.
As a general rule not to many people want them so why is the Government still making more and more of them. Paper weights?
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3588 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm already finding both P an D yellowstones in circ. condition
never mind Unc. here in the east, as well as a lot of P and D dimes
and halfs.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pfriddle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as getting the baby dollars in circulation, I've found vending machines to be the best bet. My Post Office got rid of the stamp vending machine but I used to be able to buy one stamp with a $20 bill and get $19.56 back in change (including 19 baby dollars). It's usually a mix of Sacajawea, SBAs and presidential dollars and some look brand new. I know the ticket vending machines in Portland and the Bay Area will also give you change in dollar coins.
Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My Post Office got rid of the stamp vending machine but I used to be able to buy one stamp with a $20 bill and get $19.56 back in change (including 19 baby dollars)
That was my original source, but all of the branches near me have cashless vending now.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9057 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
My Post Office got rid of the stamp vending machine but I used to be able to buy one stamp with a $20 bill and get $19.56 back in change (including 19 baby dollars)

That was my original source, but all of the branches near me have cashless vending now.

I always thought that was just another example of the government working against itself. Back in 2006 when they were announcing the new President dollars and their steps to encourage their acceptance, which included a mandate at all vending machines in government controlled offices had to accept them. At the same time the Post office was announcing a three year phase out of the stamp vending machines which were one of the major sources of how the small dollars got into circulation.
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
government controlled

Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2010  10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always thought that was just another example of the government working against itself.
The left hand does not know, or chooses to ignore, what the right hand is doing.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05