Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

El-Cheapo lenses

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25
Pillar of the Community

United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2011  01:33 am Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I see a couple El-Cheapo lenses on eBay at the moment that should make good coin macro lenses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-455-1...em415f20fcad

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-K...em43aae47f80

Pick up one of those lenses, plus two sets of these or similar extensions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-K...em43aae47f80

Plus this M39-M42 adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/42mm-39mm-M...em19c9ad7f98

And finally an M42 to Nikon, Canon, Sony or whatever adapter like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-Lens-NI...em414dc0ca60

And you have a nice macro setup for coins for total investment of ~$40-$50 including shipping!

Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2011  02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray, I've been looking for the the M39 to M42 adapter, I originally bought the 75mm El omegar and found it to be 39MM,

I have the canon adapter for the 42MM screw, will this work?
love to try it on the bellows. Gene
Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2011  08:51 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gene...Your Canon adapter allows M42 lens to be mounted on Canon bellows? If so, this adapter should work to adapt your M39 lens...Ray
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2011  01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up the adapter today, I've been wanting to try this lens out on my bellows...ThanksGene
Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  12:09 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more el-cheapos (as before, I have no affiliation with these auctions):

Vivitar LU 75mm for $15 Free Shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-K...em5d30d7b3f4

Schneider Componar 75mm for $15 Free Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-K...em5d30d7b3f4

And another Componar for $10 + $5 Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-K...em45fe69cb76

Edited by rmpsrpms
11/12/2011 12:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray what is the thread size of the schnider lens?
the listings do not say anything of what you need to mount them, so I'm guessing M39?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  08:12 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not 100% sure but almost all enlarger lenses are M39. There are older ones that are smaller and some of the long focal length ones are larger but most are M39. I'd suggest asking the seller on anything that looks interesting. I do own an older enlarger lens that is an odd size that I can't seem to find an adapter for so it's best to be sure before you buy...Ray
Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2011  11:42 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it wasn't dirt cheap ($39) but I just received a Tominon E36 86mm f/4 today. I'd like to hear from anyone who has info on these interesting little gems. They seem to be fairly apochromatic, and unlike many other Tominon's on the market which have Copal M40 threading the 86/4 has M39 threads. Interestingly, smallest aperture setting is f/8 so I'm assuming these were intended for relatively high resolution work. 86mm is a very nice focal length for bellows as well. Here is my reference 1957D Lincoln Cent Toner taken with this lens:

Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2011  03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray your photo's and efforts to us all, alway's SUCK the big one....That's a "FANTASTIC SHOT and results.. What in you opinion, how does this compare to the WOW printer lens, I forget the name but you know the ultamite printer lens for say $2500 bucks, versus this lens...This picture is pretty sweet...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2011  12:49 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before I answer the question, I have some background explanation...

This is a 4x-reduced image from the original 4928x3264 (Nikon D7000) to 1232x816, and then cropped to 800x800. The reduction process increases the apparent resolution of the final image and allows lower quality (and even high quality) lenses to look better.

Note however the entire coin looks sharp, not just the center, so this is a testament to the T86 flatness of field. The larger you make the image on the sensor, the more the lens aberrations and flatness of field come into play so even a 4x reduction can't produce a nice image when the lens doesn't focus well at the edges of the coin, or produces off-color.

This shot was taken at f/8. Notice the background is reasonably clear, which would not be the case at f4. This reduces aberrations and also helps with field flatness since any flatness issues are mitigated by the increased DOF of the smaller aperture.

The reason for stating the above is that in this situation (4x reduction and f/8 aperture) the difference between the Printing-Nikkor and the T86 is very small. Printing-Nikkor color may be a bit more accurate, but the T86 is actually quite good. I see no color fringing when focusing with the T86, so it is very well-corrected.

The difference between the lenses becomes apparent at smaller apertures, with no reduction. So for example, if I took the same image at f/4 with both lenses, and instead of reducing the images I looked at fine details on the coin such as the date and mintmark area, the Printing-Nikkor would be sharper than the T86. Also, if I critically-focused both of the lenses on the center of the coin (cheekbone) the Printing-Nikkor would be better focused and sharper on the rims of the coin than the T86. And finally note that the Printing-Nikkor can go to f/2.8, so resolution can be increased even further, though at that aperture you need to focus stack to get good sharpness in the final image. There are always tradeoffs!

You can see extensive test results for the 105PN on Mark Goodman's coinimaging.com website. He has been testing a lot of lenses and has a very methodical and of course numismatically-oriented approach. Here's the link:

http://coinimaging.com/Lens_tests.html

That brings me back to the whole point of this thread: you don't need to spend $2500 (or even $250) on a Macro lens for coin imaging for Web publishing...this $39 T86 lens can produce a remarkably-sharp image at the 800x800 image size that is standard for posts on this forum and many other similar lenses are available with excellent performance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did some looking for this lens, Most Tominion lens's are really going for big money, the only one's I found that were less were in the MP4 format type lenses...nothing on the E86...yet...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
forgot, the adapters I first got were for the M39 to EOS, not a working item at this time, still waiting for the M39 to M42, slow boat from china, maybe next week sometime, and one other adapter for the bellows....or possibly the canon FD to EOS, From what I am seeing, many of these lenses need the use of a bellows, as being directly connected to the camera isn't working,
Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  11:48 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you brought up the Tominon/Polaroid MP4. Those Tominon lenses are no slouches. I've had great luck with the 35mm for 3x-5x magnification, and the 75mm and 105mm are very good for full-coin imaging. The problem you will have is mounting them since they mount to Copal-0 M40 thread. However, eBay seller jinfinance makes and sells a variety of oddball adapters and has one for these. He does not advertise it for this purpose but I can verify it works perfectly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitutoyo-BD...em2eb5de63e7

This adapter makes it possible for coin photographers to easily use the Tominon/Polaroid lenses with standard M39 adapters and systems.

The MP4 lenses usually sell for $75-$100 so I did not include them in my El-Cheapo category. However, there is a 75mm for sale right now for $35:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tominon-75m...em3cbe9ab007
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ray for the tip, I got it and will get around for the adapter later as I'm in the middle of moving and remodeling..I did receive the M42 to EOS adapter today , I just took a couple of pics to see what my Asahi Super Takumar 1:1.8/55MM would do, the first shots didn't turn out as I think the lens was not parallel to the coin , figured this out after switching to almost infinity settings as taken here..I'm thinking on the large dollar the edgdes are not to crisp...I don't have the best eyes...I'll try later tonight to try the Marco settings, and try my cheapo Chinon 135MM as its a 42mm screw as well...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  9:51 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gene...glad you picked up that Tominon, it was begging for a good home. I don't know if it's so much not being parallel or just not being focused right. What was your aperture setting? Is this full field and downsized or a crop? ...Ray
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray, these were full shots with my 55MM Asahi attached to the EOS...with my new adapter cropped down.... Thanks for the tip on the Tominion, would like to find the 105MM of that series..
I bought another cheap lens, for $10bucks..a Vivitar 70-200MM macro zoom...Took some pics, and some with a 2X converter...

I am wondering, with coins does one need or use the filters that are on the front of the lenses when shooting coins?
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05