Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

El-Cheapo lenses

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25
Pillar of the Community
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2012  6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wrestling_135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice shiney polished!
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  11:34 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a very nice EL-Nikkor 80mm f/5.6 lens for $15 BIN + $5 shipping. I got it last Friday, and it's a superb lens for $20. I think they usually go for quite a bit more. Patience pays off!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23073987847....m1439.l2649
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  10:48 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's an excellent price for that lens. Usually these go for $75-$100. 80mm is a great length for coins, plenty of working distance and yet not so long that it's hard to get >1:1 on a normal length bellows. I find these to have less CA than the 105mm, which are already pretty good...Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  10:38 pm  Show Profile Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to come from way behind on this topic.
Using a Pentax K-x. Took a couple of good shots using a drill press for a copy stand.
Before I start building my next copy stand I need to learn some more.
Phase One, Are these enlarging lenses any good for coin shoots? I got them for little over shipping costs.

As marked...
Rodenstock-OMEGAR 1:4.5 f=75mm
Schneider-Kreuznach 1:5.6/80
WOLLENSAK 135MM f/4.5

If not, I'll still have a Nikon EL NIKKOR 1:5.6 f=105mm to start experimentation.
Then, I have to design and build a stand. I can design and build, but I don't know what I need.
But first, what about the lenses?

Thanks,
Kurt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  10:46 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I remember in the 75mm shootout I did, the Omegar was quite decent. Is the SK a Componon, a Componon-S, or ? The Wollensak 135 is very likely the worst of the bunch, but if it's clean it will probably still produce acceptable images. You will need a long bellows to make the 135mm work, and very long working distance especially for Dollars. The 75mm or 80mm will give you reasonable working distances for a wide range of coins. My bet is if the SK is a Componon or Componon-S and is very clean, that it will be the best of the bunch...Ray

PS...Even the SK will probably not surpass your 105mm EL Nikkor...
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:13 pm  Show Profile Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Componon is not an "S" And it has the most curious mark inside the lens that looks like a flower blossom. Likely needs to be cleaned. That's why I bought these, to learn how to disassemble and clean lenses. Thought I could do them no harm. Would like recommendations on spanner tools.
Trying to recall the specifics of your 75mm shootout. This lens is a Rodenstock-OMEGAR. Was your test lens an EL-OMEGAR? New to this and can't remember.
Wollensak appears to be in great condition.
I won't be able to dedicate any time into fabrication for a while, but need to start thinking about the hardware for a bellows mount.

Thanks,
Kurt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:28 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it was an EL-OMEGAR. Is this different from the OMEGAR, or just a different marking, maybe different vintage?

I'm a bit worried about the "flower blossom". That sounds like lens fungus. It may clean off, or it may not. The fungus grows due to contaminants on the lens, and as it eats them it secretes acids that etch the lens coatings...permanently. You may get lucky and they just clean off without any damage. I've had it go both ways...Ray
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea if the EL is different from the plain OMEGAR. Frankly, I don't know anything. And my S-K is a Componon and not a Comparon. S-K and Rodenstock appear to have a mounting thread pattern of about 25mm.
I still need to make adapter plates for an Auto-Bellows.
No progress yet, still gathering pieces.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  09:30 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an "EL-OMEGAR" lens that is 75mm with f/3.5. It came in a little blue box, and it was marked "SIMMON Omega" in the upper left corner of the box. I don't have any photos of mine, but these are the sellers photos from when I purchased it. It doesn't say "Rodenstock" anywhere on the lens or in the documentation...but I believe that doesn't always mean it wasn't (upstream) made by them. BUT, it does say "Made in Japan" on the side of the box, so I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the Rodenstock-OMEGAR!

Edited by brg5658
02/09/2012 09:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a thought here, as your wondering about some of these lenses, such as the EL Omegar, and such..., they can be used with cameras, with "certain adaptons",, but in general they are not a lens you bolt onto you cmaera...these are usually
EXTREMELY HIGHLY MACRO, enlaging lenses from days gon by..they we used in dark rooms to make negatives into picturesThere magnification abillity is very good, as is the QUALITY!
of some of these lenses...'In which many a post here has attested, AS I have noted, most need the bellow's as the is the best way to adjust the EXTREMELY narrow focus point of these lenses.....PLEASE ALSO NOTE,,the size of the coin definately relates to the MM size of the lens and its potential...Usage...MENTIONED here in the backround in many posts... FOR EXAMPLE,,, don't expect your 28/50MM lens to get a full view of a silver dollar....
NOR should you even think that the3 larger the MM size say 210MM should give you the ultamite lens...It takes some time to realize,,
What these guys are ultamatley telling you and showing you in there examples, one must look one the whole picture, certain size lenses are best for very small coins, and largeer coins need a different size lense to fully capture its quallities........Remember this is the general principle and many lenses, say of the Macro type enhance this idea to a better picture but still hold true to the same fundamantal principle's...
Dave and RAy have really gone out of there way in explaining
the high end of understandings of why and how/relationships of the lens and the distance to the coin and the sensors relationship...What that means, as far as the coin and the lens being used and its success in the pictures outcome...
I have seen much improvement in my own pictures as well as understandings and results in others pictures..
MANY THANKS for your POSTS Dave and Ray...G
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  12:22 am  Show Profile Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G,
You speak strong medicine. Ray and Dave have given me more than I can ever repay. And if you look at the Tube vs. Bellows discussion, you'll agree that I have followed their recommendations on coin shoot gear.
The S-K and Rodenstock cost me $2 plus shipping. At the lowest level, I got great ant burners.
But the "Whole Picture" is not the same for me as it is for others. For starters, you have a goal and an objective - maybe to shoot a 22mm ancient and show it's patina in high fidelity. For such goals, there are proven methods of success. (Today is Dad's 88th Birthday, and Dad always said, "A good man will learn from his mistakes, but a smarter man will learn from somebody else's.")
My pursuits may differ. Shooting Morgan VAMs, there is no such thing as "too much magnification." And I knew that the copy lenses wouldn't fit my camera, but I think small versions of the mounting plates can be made to fit my bellows. Sometimes, I just want technical detail (And my Mavica does better than what I got from Leroy Van Allen..)
Then consider that I may just want to learn. Not the best student, but be sure that no one knows what waits around the bend.
Some time ago I was asked to appear as an expert witness in Federal Court. One of my fields of expertise is Soviet light weapons. The problem was a shooting. Was it an accident based on a mechanical problem, or was it on purpose? I was able to show that the shooting was the result of an accident because the trigger/sear had been filed by the owner. Though I made persuasive arguments, they would have been simpler and more powerful with good macro photography. The point is, I don't know where this knowledge of photography will take me.
Then I want to learn how to repair/rebuild lenses. What tools do I need? How do I go about it? Who supplies the parts? Is it worth it?
Should I learn on the premium desirable expensive lenses? Or some of the ones I picked up for a few bucks?

I really appreciate everyone's help
Thanks,
Kurt

Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  1:53 pm  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone is in the market for a close-up lens for a Bellows system, there is a nice EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 on the Bay right now for $19.99 with free shipping. I hope someone here gets it! These are very nice lenses, and this price is about half of the normal going rate for this lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-NIKKO...270914776762

EDIT: I have no connection to this seller, I just already have an example of this particular lens, so I thought I'd put the "word" out there for others.
Edited by brg5658
02/14/2012 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  12:37 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, a nice group of 75mm lenses plus a 55mm. Can't really tell condition so proceed with caution but this is a good price for the group...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14071454105....m1438.l2649

And there's a 75mm Spiratone Flat Field Macro as well for an excellent price. Usually these are very dirty but are easy to disassemble and clean...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22096677295....m1438.l2649

Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  07:21 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a less-common Vivitar 90mm enlarger lens. 90mm will give you pretty long working distance, too long for most of my bellows setups but should work great for larger copy stands or tripod use...Ray

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...B:SS:US:1123
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:23 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an Omega EL-Computron...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...B:SS:US:1123
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05