Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Maybe the greatest hobby on earth..coin collecting?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Ausjack
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  06:56 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I think that coin collecting maybe the greatest hobby in the world for one simple reason..ANYONE can do it. There are mega rich people do it right down to the bottom feeders like me but we can still manage to slip the odd coin away here and there.

Can you name any other interest/hobby that basically everyone in the world can do and the cost is all up to what you can afford or like me find..it's just great when you think about it in different ways

Moved to Main forum - Sap

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
10703 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin collecting has been around for almost as long as coins have - that's over two millennia of tradition we are following. The ancient Greek, Roman and Chinese civilizations all had their coin collectors (even if the historians that chronicled them thought it a baffling concept). Petrarch, the "father of the Renaissance", is also considered "the father of modern coin collecting" because he wrote positively of the hobby, helping to spark the first great resurgence of coin collecting among the wealthy elites of Europe. As such, of all the hobbies around today, coin collecting is one of the oldest.

Quote:
Can you name any other interest/hobby that basically everyone in the world can do and the cost is all up to what you can afford or like me find.

Well, stamp collecting is similar in that respect - most everybody gets mail. Though in our modern society stamps are becoming obsolete far faster than coins are; stamps will probably become extinct as functional artefacts sometime within my lifetime, while coins still have a couple of generations to go, I would think.

My Dad collects seashells, and that's another hobby just about anyone can pursue for free, just by going for a walk on the beach. However, while it's a great hobby for beach-loving coast-dwelling Australians, it's not exactly an option for everyone on Earth. People in Mongolia, for example, probably find it a difficult hobby to participate in.

Rock collecting is also something pretty much anyone can do for free. But you're far more likely to find an interesting or valuable coin in your change than finding an interesting or valuable rock in your driveway.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2529 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and I think collecting from pocket change can be one of the most fun ways to do it.
Oldest Found:

Cent: 1899 - Two Cents: 1867 - Nickel: 1916
Dime: 1943 - Quarter: 1964 - Half: 1917

Canadian silver:
Quarter 1966
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12275 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rock collecting is also something pretty much anyone can do for free. But you're far more likely to find an interesting or valuable coin in your change than finding an interesting or valuable rock in your driveway.

Coin collecting too can be and usually ends being rather on the expensive side. It's rather problamatic with the necessity to complete sets or types. Also, many people get stuck with coins that are only available from purchasing.
Collecting items like rocks and stones is one where almost all is free. And if you travel, fantastic varieties are available basically free also. One neighbor of mine does that and has an amazing collection and all free.
Your forgetting about the many sort of failed collecting hobbies of late. Beanie Babies, Hot Wheel/Matchbox Cars, Sporting Cards, etc. There are numerous other collectable items that people collect too.
However, not all hobbies are collecting you know. Many of the types of hobbies mentioned are sort of slow, lazy, non energizing types of hobbies. Remember how many people do other things for hobbies that do require enerby. Hiking, bike riding, kite flying, swimming, tennis, auto racing and on and on and on. Many of these too are either free or low cost.
Ome of my many favorite hobbies is watching TV. Only have to pay for electricity for that.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  11:55 am  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ABSOLUTELY the greatest Hobby ever, second to none! Can you just imagine what sort of Collections we would be able to acquire if we could live 300-400 years? ( and what our collections would be worth?)

Glenn
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ome of my many favorite hobbies is watching TV. Only have to pay for electricity for that

Don't forget cable!
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2886 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  12:30 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just carl, can we go one month without you mentioning Beanie Babies?
http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos UNC!: P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12275 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just carl, can we go one month without you mentioning Beanie Babies?

Sort of a sore spot I guess. Someone I know well used to collect them and I was one of the idiots that went around blowing money on them for her. From me and many others she had thousands of them and still does. Now all in boxes waiting for a future that will never come.

Quote:

Quote:
Ome of my many favorite hobbies is watching TV. Only have to pay for electricity for that

Don't forget cable!

Most people I know are retired, living on little so all are now switched back to an Antenna. Now up to well over 50 stations via Antenna.
A really amaizing thing about coin collecting is regardless of age, even the youngest kids like coins. Yes they will pick up almost anything but usually fasinated by coins.
just carl
Edited by just carl
12/30/2011 12:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
didn't think I'd have this response..thanks very much for your comments people

Just a few things..I said maybe not IS

And I remembered a few more of mine after I posted this that don't cost anything or very little are tins and bottles and I also do jems, rocks, shells etc. And you might be surpised as to where you might find shells..out in the centre they've found sea shells so you just never know what you'll find or where you'll find it.

And some of you were missing my point as most thing like TV etc cost a lot of money out here and same as sport. Even my model making isn't cheap. So I was more thinking of free or very little costs and don't get me started about the cost of fuel

Thanks again team
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey sap, don't know if you like shells but I hope your dad would appreciate these. I don't have many but I love cowries if you couldn't tell

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8392 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gardening is the oldest and most popular of all hobbies.
It would not be hard to figure a few reasons why.

For me, it is somewhat of a chore, but I still have to take an interest to make my property presentable. I much prefer coin collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12275 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ausjack: Those shells are fantastic. WOW, almost looks like an Art Exibit.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much just carl, and they're like us no 2 are the same and those black ones I know are worth money..but I don't think I'd sell them as they're hard to find
Pillar Of The Community
3352 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, I totally agree => those shells are gorgeous!

Yah, collecting "anything" can be absolutely awesome! ... sure, it may be a tad addictive and/or compulsive at times, but it's usually awesome!

Collecting Dominion of Canada Coins & Dominion of Canada Bills is definitely my poison, but you guys also mentioned a few other winners like collecting minerals/rocks, stamps, shells ... but I must admit that my favorite thing to collect has always been "music"!

=> whether it's been my Dad's old 78's, my older brothers' 45's, my 33's (man, I must have 2000 classic albums!?) => cassette tapes => cd's ... what's next?

Well, whatever it is, I'm sure that I'll be listening to it while I'm collecting and sorting through all of my coins!

Cheers! => and a Happy New Year to all of you!

Rock-on!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[Some of] those cowries would go straight into my Unusual Money collection as they had been used as currency in some parts of the world.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1995 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A collection that was started by some friends and I about five years ago...."Hooter Rock Collection". Yes, you read that correctly. Goal - collect a rock from the actual Hooter's restaurant available. We have one from Hawaii, Florida, Wyoming, Nebraska, Minnesota, and many more. Started as a joke, but definitely blossomed. Every guy that asks what the rocks are for, ALWAYS has a smile on their face after we tell them.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05