Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Help, Counterstamped Coins Brazil - Weight & Size Varietys?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Kingz
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  12:52 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

As there are many counterfeits, some very well done and hard to differentiate from the real ones. Many coppers are found as much as 15
percent or more below the official weights, and even heavy specimens are occasionally observed.

I have a few coins of these, and some of them are off target as described above. But I was also wondering if it is possible to be a bit heavier, but not to be a counterfeit? As I will show in the pictures below..( sorry for my bad grammar, and possibly spelling )

I have put 2x 20 Reis on top of eachother, as I noticed 1 was a little bit bigger / heavier (1827, coin on bottom).

20 Reis counterstamp on 1827 R, 40 Reis = 14,9 g. (which should weigh: 14,34 g., so how can it "grow" 0,6 g. ? )
20 Reis counterstamp on 1828 R, 40 Reis = 13,02 g. (which should also weigh: 14,34 g. but ok, it can lose some weight due to wear etc.)

Also notice the bottom of the 1827 coin, it has been squeezed out or something ? Could this be PMD or was it part of the minting proces?
As I don't see it on the other coins, although it seems they try to loose the date or does it have to do with the countermark?

Sorry for the ramblings but I'm looking forward to hear some opinions, and if something is not clear enough... Just ask

Edited by Kingz
01/28/2012 12:58 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
anyone? or am I fishing too much?
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost 200 views... Nobody has a clue? Or does nobody understand me

I'm wondering why or how the 20 Reis, 1827 was squeezed for lack of a betetr word
Valued Member
Brazil
117 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2013  02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cipriani to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, what could I say? These coins are great. This "R" after the year shows they were made in Rio de Janeiro. Now the reason why one is "bigger" than the other I can´t tell you with 100% sure.

I should say that´s because coin-making was imprecise, but it´s just a guess, I´m sorry.

I have a Brazilian coins catalog here and it doesn´t say anything specific about these coins.

If I find any other information, I post here.

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2013  1:14 pm  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have intitially investigated these Brazilian counterfeits and have several in my world contemporary counterfeit collection. Here is the little that I do know since I don't collect legitimate Brazilian coins or for that matter South American coins (in general):

1. The coins can be underweight and this is the main reason they are counterfeit.

2. The metal alloys tested by XRF on these underweight and counterfeit numeral countermarks still register high copper alloy and are NOT brass or bronze but are of the same copper purity as the regals Cu >97-98% pure in the coin alloy. However - I am still open to the opinion that off-metals like brass or bronze may exist. I only own about (6) contemporary counterfeits (of the period) and I do not search these out ... generally.

3. What do the counterfeit countermark numerals look like? They are listed in KM. Arabic style.

4. They have little following it seems - I purchased a Choice AU/UNC 80R underweight/fake countermarked from Karl Stephens at the 2012 NYITL for $95.00. The finest I have ever seen for 80R.

BTW - On your posted pictures none of the numerals seem to be faked countermarks as listed in KM - so I guess they are all just underweight or there are other minor variations? Let me know if you come across any in BRASS? (in your opinion).

John Lorenzo
United States
Edited by colonialjohn
04/30/2013 4:17 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05