Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1965 1-cent Proof Like Matte and Mirror finished ?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
hjnong
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  8:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi, everyone. Just through bunch of 1965 proof like 1-cent, found two types of finished - Matte and Mirror as the following pictures shown. ( Only under 100k pictures allow to upload, so not sure those details can be seen. )

Variety? Error? Or Mule? What's your opinion?

Based on my searching, the matte one is much rare than mirror one.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's actually really , really interesting... can you post links to higher res photos like on photobucket?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
878 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This kind of thing is very hard to capture in a photo. Is the matte cent what is referred to as cameo? Or are the backgrounds matte?
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen this on several proof likes also, it looks like a high cameo with a cameo background. I usually find it on 64s and 65s in Pl.
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I upload these pictures to picasa web album, use the following link should get these photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/117515...t=directlink

I think the matte one is NOT like cameo or Heavy Cameo. Not only the background, but the whole coin is matte like Satin finished. I also found some in 64s and 63s, will keep searching in my lefts 64s and 63s, 66s.

I also uploaded a picture of Cameo sample as well to compare.

Thanks!
Edited by hjnong
02/09/2012 12:00 am
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Hjnong Matte coins are some of my favorites, imo this would be listed in my own collection as a variety although this would not be supported by Charltons. Recently I purchased a coin that was matte certified by NCG there was no indication on the coin holder that said it was an error. Hope this helps.
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple of 65's with that matte finish, but nothing in any other year. IMHO the matte finish is superior, but that's only preference.

It's time to sort through the penny stash for the other years. I'm glad someone brought this subject up!
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RogerD Thanks for the info from NGC. I think it's reasonable to call these coins "Error" cause there must be something wrong when final finished of those coins. Not only the background but the whole coin show the clear Sadin finished like evidence make me guess it was happened in the final step of the minting.

I went through some 1966 and 1963 1-cent proof like ( all sealed in the RCM film ) today and found 5 matte 1966 and 2 lightly matte of 1963. I also added some photos of 1966 to the album mentioned above. Please feel free to check. For the 2 lightly matte 1963, still can't get good pictures. Sorry about that. I'll keep searching for 1963 and 1964.

So, for now, the following is my statistics:

1963 1-cent Proof Like: 0 matte out of 130 ( only 2 lightly matte, not good enough to take pictures )

1965 1-cent Proof Like: 20 matte out of 600

1966 1-cent Proof Like: 5 matte out of 100

Note: not including those lightly matte OR only one side of reverse and obverse matte

Thanks everyone! I'll keep reporting here! Any statistics from your end will be very appreciated!

Have a nice weekend!
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Hjnong Since matte coins are rarely found it looks like your population summary is higher than I would have suspected in the 65's. Nice of you to report your findings, how is it that you have access to so many PL sets?

On the whole PL sets haven't been on my wish list, more or less ignored them.
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RogerD I accidentally bought a lot ( about 2000 1-cent cut from proof like sets ) from eBay a couple of years ago. I have had a good time on this lot except my eye feel a little bit tired.

Updated the statistics as the following: ( @staircase's data included! )

( Note: not including those lightly matte OR only one side of reverse and obverse matte )

1963 1-cent Proof Like: 2 matte out of 270 ( not including 2 lightly matte not good enough to take pictures )

1964 1-cent Proof Like: 1 matte out of 100

1965 1-cent Proof Like: 20 matte out of 600

1966 1-cent Proof Like: 5 matte out of 100

1967 1-cent Proof Like: 1 matte out of 50

Picasa web album updated.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117515...t=directlink

Will go through 1964 1-cent pl later

Here is the picture of my searching lot.

Edited by hjnong
02/12/2012 11:22 pm
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After searching through a much smaller group of 1960's, I found a few more. The results are proportionately similar to the summary provided by hjnong.

A '67 showed up that might just be some toning, but it's unlike the typical reflective PL background.

Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Staircase looks like matte to me, if it was toning the reflective nature would still be there. From now on PL sets are going to have to go on the radar, darn it anyway.

@Hjnong That's a wierd mistake buying all those pennies. Did you manage any hangers in the 63's? That would be a nice bonus on a PL penny.
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Staircase, Nice found! And nice pictures! Looks like exactly what I expect! I also found some toning matte like yours but not 1967, they're from 1965 and 1966. BTW, would you please let us know what is the rate you found the 1967 matte pl penny (including the toning)? I can updated my statistics list above.

@RogerD, I was only collecting loonie and toonie at the time when I bought those pennies. But since I won that auction at the price that I thought impossible to win, I said to myself why not starting penny collection. So that was a long story.

No hangers found in 1963 for now.
Edited by hjnong
02/12/2012 5:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of the 50 or so 67's, only the one pictured above has the matte background. It's not as strong as the other years, particularly '65 and '66.

Also, only one '64 out of 100 showed up.

Edit: sp
Edited by staircase
02/12/2012 6:50 pm
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@staircase Thanks for your data! I included them in the above list. I'll go through some 1964 1-cent Proof Like tonight. Keep reporting here. Thanks!
Edited by hjnong
02/12/2012 7:19 pm
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RogerD for the hangers of 1963 searching, I forgot this one, you might have interest to take a look. Please see the photos:

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05