Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1965 1-cent Proof Like Matte and Mirror finished ?

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That hanger looks great, comes out clear and strong by far the best one I've had the chance of seeing there are a few in my own collection. Thanks for letting me know that the PLs are not immune from these errors!
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, through 280 1964 1-cent PL done! Found 9 matte. So this is the final updated statistics:

( Note: not including those lightly matte OR only one side of reverse and obverse matte )

1963 1-cent Proof Like: 2 matte out of 270

1964 1-cent Proof Like: 10 matte out of 380

1965 1-cent Proof Like: 20 matte out of 600

1966 1-cent Proof Like: 5 matte out of 100

1967 1-cent Proof Like: 1 matte out of 50

Picasa web album updated, please feel free to check via click the following link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117515...t=directlink

For now, the 1963 1-cent PL Matte is the winner of rarest!

If any found rate post here, I'll update the above list. Thanks everyone!

Seriously, my eye need a rest!
Edited by hjnong
02/13/2012 12:40 am
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the interesting things is that none of the 1965 matte have the large bead variety (all of them are small beads).

Also, a couple of 65's, still in plastic, have a struck through thread feature on the obverse. That's probably not so unusual given the high number produced.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know, I can't really tell from the pics, but first inclination is not to call these a matte finish. I mean what exactly used a matte finish in 65? I'm almost inclined to think these are damaged in their sets like other coins I have come across. I have some quarters still in plio that looks like they were peed on by rabid squirrels.

Before you guys get on me, specimen sets were made from working dies, not the other way around. So I can't see these being half complete dies either.
Edited by Ugly
02/13/2012 7:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
3453 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  6:06 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have examples of each, in ultra heavy cameo. I think this is worthy of a look under the SEM, to see if the texture is primary (i.e., imparted on the strike) or secondary (e.g., rabid squirrel pee).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
02/13/2012 6:12 pm
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's something to look into.

Perhaps there is an environmental issue that had a damaging effect upon these coppers. If there was some sort of potential damaging element present at the time the PL's were sealed, then perhaps that might account for the unusual finish developing over time.

It's time to check some of the more recent sets to see if something similar occurred.

I just saw your post SPP, welcome back. It will be interesting to see what an examination will reveal.

Edited by staircase
02/13/2012 6:23 pm
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ugly, True, it's not that easy to see those particle like things on the coins under normal light source ( like sunlight at daytime ) and under naked eye. It's also not that easy to take those pictures. But under the bulb light and tilt the coin some angle and use the 10x loupe, you'll get clear details. Please feel free to check the pics of 1964 1-cent Pl one in my picasa web album, I think should be able easy to tell them.

For terminology of these kinds of coin, not sure yet. I used the "Matte" just to make the description easy. I agree it was not accurate. How about Matte Like Finished Error?

Agree with @Staircase, it seems like has something to do with the environmental issue before sealed in sets. But just guess, had to wait some professional inspection.

Thanks everyone!
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. I was taking another look at this topic and found no distinct verdict with regard to whether or not the dull (matte-like) finish was due to environmental damage or not. The puzzling thing is that this effect is apparent in consecutive years.

Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 54dollarcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint did experiment with ways to keep the coppers red.................lacquered?
Valued Member
Canada
267 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  12:25 pm  Show Profile Check Scissel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mint did experiment with ways to keep the coppers red...lacquered?

Yes, PL cents in the 60s were lacquered. Hugh Powell confirmed this for me a couple weeks ago. I have some that I thought were "matte" finish. Rinsing them in acetone made them mirror finish. ~ JFK ~
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good to know and puts the issue to rest. Thanks Scissel and 54 for the info.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05