Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Whats your most meaningful coin(s) and why?

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it, sorry. I didnt realize you were making a guess. Like I said, not my intention to take the attention away from your very cool thread with details.

Anyway, I have a Morgan and Peace dollar from my grandfather which are sentimentally probably my favorites. I found them in his closet after he passed.
They live in the 7070 album which my dad and I are working on now. All the coins I have collected with my dad are my favorites and mean the most to me. Our 7070 is turning into a really awesome, fun project that will mean alot to me for a long time.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1364 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hehe all of the coins that were given to me by my late Grandfather (the last great numismatist in our family) I have quite a sentimental attachment to, especially my ASE and his 3-Cent Nickel collection.

However, my most meaningful coin I feel in some sense he "gave" to me posthumously.

My wife and I were at first All Saints Day service after he passed away at our Church. It's one of the oldest, but not *the* oldest Church in New Jersey, and it has a history that goes back about 270 years. Anyways, as they were reading the names of the people who were lost the previous year, my Grandfather among them, our daughter was getting fussy so my wife took her outside to walk and calm her.

When she came back in she (my wife that is) was nearly in tears, so I thought that she was having *real* trouble with our daughter and I moved over to help. Instead she said, "You... you *need* to see this. I found it outside in a crook of the building."

It was a 1913 Barber dime in tarnished, but magnificent condition (I'd say easily an XF).

My reaction was, "Holy ... Thanks Grandpa." And I was almost lost in tears, myself.

It's that dime that really solidified my determination to keep coin collecting as a family hobby and keep passing it down. My Grandfather's interest was fairly isolated, and where we shared it, mine was much more casual than his. Until then. I only wish I had the same zeal now as when he was still with us.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins. Attribution Services.
Numismetrica
Coin Collection Management Software for your Desktop and Mobile Devices.
Edited by SteveCaruso
02/10/2012 9:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story Steve.
--------------------
Joseph
--------------------
>>>My Gallery<<<
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add buffalojohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was 18 years old when the Ike came out! I am no where near 85.
My sister in law was 13 and today is 53 years old. Jeeeesh I aint
that old. I hardly even have gray hair.---John
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  11:50 am  Show Profile Check KenKat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My grandfather gave me an 1857-O Seated dime in 1972 or 73 right before he passed away. He was too young (64) and I was too young (10) but at least I will always have that coin to remember him by.

My grandma on the other side of the family used to let me go through her giant can of pennies looking for wheaties and that was the start of my Lincoln collection.
My 7070 US Type Set
My 7100 Lincoln Cent Set (pics a little out of date - ok, really out of date...)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1379 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the "Appollo" (Eagle) landing on moon. I like the symbolism.
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DimeHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a 1/10 oz. Gold Maple Leaf that was made the same year I was born. It was the first gold coin I ever bought and was one of the first coins in general that I bought when I started getting interested in investing/collecting coins. Its not much but I like it.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great stories!
Roll Hunting Finds
2 buffalo full dates
3 war nickels
1 silver dime
1 NIFC
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another coin with a great story,

When I was in 3rd grade(6 yrs ago..time travels fast) my family all traveled to new zealand around christmas time to visit, and say goodbye to my grandmother who had a brain tumor. On christmas day she gave each of the grandkids 2 swiss vreneli.
Roll Hunting Finds
2 buffalo full dates
3 war nickels
1 silver dime
1 NIFC
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WeejunsSince1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is an 1854-O half dime. It's in less than about good condition, literally. It also has a hole in it so I'm sure it was around someones necks for years. I found in the bottom of a half off bin at a coin shop and I felt the need to rescue it. It's almost so ugly that it's not ugly at all, and I can't help but be drawn to it every time I look at it.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  05:29 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it is a 1931 Australian Penny. It look me a long time to find in the particular grade it is and was my first coin valued over $100. When I got it I had to save for a while so was nice to see the result when I got it. It's also the year my grandfather was born and I will never sell it.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chadwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite in my collection is a 1829 Capped Bust Half in VF condition. I purchased the coin from a friend of mine for $300. That is about the actual dealer value for the coin, but since it was helping a friend, I was glad to pay that. Plue this coin has a fantastic story behind it.

The coin was discovered as part of a hoard of coins found in a trash dumpster in Mt.Sterling KY in 1925. My friends grandfather was 18 years old and his new wife was pregnant. The trash collecting job didn't pay much, but it was all the work he could find. Two people worked a trash route. One person would drive, and the other would throw the trash in the back of the truck. The two of them stopped at a large dumpster and next to it was a rather large heavy sack. One man could not lift it, so the two of them attempted to lift it together. Curiosity got the best of them and they opened the sack to look inside. To their surprise, the sack was full of coins. Not cents either, but large coins. It was a mix of everything from gold double eagles to silver half dimes and more. The coins had a face value of over $25,000. Once the city found out about their discovery they took the coins from them and waited for someone to claim them. They even placed adds in the local paper about a stash of lost coins.

The city then decided the coin belonged to the city and not the men that found them. They took the city to court and won possession of the coins back from the city. They divided the coins 50/50 and my friends father used the money to build a house for his new family. He kept one coin from the stash. The 1829 Half that I now own. I have the coin locked away with a manuscript of its origin for my son to inherit one day. Not that the story makes it anymore valuable, but its a story good enough that I feel it needs to be told.
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 15turtles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My most meaningful coin(s) are very special, and have not only a numistimatic value but also have a extremly long story to it. the previous year, I visited my grand-uncle who is in his late seventies. he gave me a roll of 10 ROC (republic of china which is democratic) 20cent coins.......... seems somewhat normal, however, these coins were produced on the last or second last year of ROC reign (china was about to turn communist), and were given to my grand-uncle as a gift from his bank teller friend. it seems normal, however when the ROC was about to end, the government was moving from mainland china to taiwan WITH most of the coins and bills from the banks. and these coins, if they were found in the possetion of my grand-uncle after 1949 (the year that the communist won the civil war) then they would surely have been taken away and melted down, however after chairman Mao died, these strict rules regarding *counter revolutionary* things and actions were .... basically abolished, my grand-uncle still had 50 of em, so he gradually gave em away as gifts to his buds, he had 10 left and I gave them to me as a gift....... very meaningful coins.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have collected things since I was young. I collected comics, bottle caps, football and baseball cards, stamps, and a host of other things. No one in my family is really a collector, but me. I remember that my aunt had this little box of older coins, and I would sneak into her room to look at them. She is since passed away.

I would enjoy taking my allowance as a boy, and I started collecting Lincoln cents and Buffalo nickels. I got Whitman albums and worked on it, getting most of the less expensive dates. I would go through change in mom's purse and any place I could. I got an entire 20 century Type set for fun.

I put my collection down for some time during college, but then I picked it back up when I moved to the Philly area.

Not long after that, I spent 8 years in Germany, and began to collect European coins. I was working in Germany in 2002, when the Euro took over. I can still remember, getting new euros out of the bank ATM on Jan. 1, 2002. Since then, I collect euros as well. They are fun because they all have a common side, but each of the 12(now 15) countries has a different national side, too. 2 euro Commems are particularly fun to collect! This year, all of the members are minting a 10 Years of Euro cash Commem.

For the last 5 years, I have been back in the US, and I am getting my 10 year old daughter interested. She got a coin book, which I helped her fill. Also, my lovely wife buys coins for me for some occasions, such a Valentine's.

My favorite coin is a Jefferson medal that my daughter got me as a gift at Montecello.

There is something special about looking for the missing coins, and working to fill a set!
Edited by Jdgarst0720
02/20/2012 11:27 am
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hammerrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At my Christening, my godmother gave me Peace dollar with a keepsake kind of card. Since my Dad was coin collector he made sure that first my Mom, and then later, I didn't do anything stupid with it, since it was a 1928-P. My godmother died at a very young age, so I never knew her, but it's hard to imagine she knew the rarity of the coin ... amazing that she had it and passed it along.

When I was in the 4th grade one of the kids in our class got a 1873 Indian Head cent in his lunch money (in 1974 pennies were still used for some things!) I bought it from him for all my lunch money (I think maybe $.55). It'd be worth some decent money today if I didn't try to clean it (confirming the wisdom of my dad with the Peace dollar). Anyway, it was the first coin I ever purchased so it will always be special to me.

There are others, but those two are the most special.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05