Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S VDB opinions wanted

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  5:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vanbroj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have good friend who I am looking to trade with.
He has a 1909 S VDB in an ICG holder. It states XF with jewelry mount removed.

The coin has had a mount removed from the rim , that did not damage the obverse or reverse of the coin, but there is silver solder residue left on the rim.

I know we have a lot of knowledgeable folks here with opinions and just wanted to get feedback on what a fair value for this coin would be.

Greysheet bid on an XF is 1225.00
How much would you discount this problem coin ?

Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigoletto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on how much it detracts. I would go as a max on F12 if it isn't that bad.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11182 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  5:41 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post some pictures? With damaged coins a lot depends on the eye appeal and how bad the problem is. In general, you can take 90-50% off list prices for problem coins.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ummm....I have heard of PCGS, ANACS and maybe another one...but not IGS...are they are well-established third party grading company? OK, they appear in Graysheet, so they must be good...right?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12660 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too would like to see just how much of a Solder residue is left. Also, you mentioned a possible trade, not purchase? So are you planning on trading him for that coin or purchasing it for cash. Being one of the top Counterfeited coins at least in a Slab you can tell it's nor a fake. As to the Solder, that too may be a problem for you. By that I mean is it noticable enough that it would always bother you? Do you think if you looked around you could find a similar graded one for the same or similar price and no Solder? I know if very noticable it would bother me.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vanbroj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Folks, as its not my coin, I dont have pictures.
Really the solder is only visible when you look at the rim, and as its in a slab, you cant really see it, as on ICG slabbed coins the rims are fairly hidden...
Thanks for all the input!
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mount removal is too much of a wildcard without pictures. If I had to guess, I'd say $300-$450, but it all depends on eye appeal. If it were me and one of my friends, I'd say the only fair way to go because of the damage is have him get at least 2 buy offers from shops and you can match that value, beat it by 10% or decline and everybody is still friends.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  8:50 pm  Show Profile Check reupman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add reupman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i like to be able to see the rim of any 09svdb I buy ngc is great with letting you see the side of the rim people have and do saw them in half and glue them together
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICG had some of the best counterfeit people known at one time so if its in an ICG slab you can be pretty confident its authentic so I don't think that would be a problem
Learn More...
United States
21270 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The mount removal is too much of a wildcard without pictures.
I agree.

If you have seen it and are comfortable with it, then offer what you feel it is worth. If you can find a better looking one at the price you are considering, then you are offering too much. I know that is vague, but ultimately you have to be happy with it.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjtm92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally wouldn't pay a dollar over $850 for the coin. Think about when you turn the coin around. Any dealer or LCS is going to point that out and automatically knock a few hundred dollars off. Plus for a couple hundred more:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-S-VDB-...em27c39518df
In a PCGS holder with no details. Just a suggestions, though. Either way, just make sure you walk away happy with the outcome!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11182 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  10:46 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really the solder is only visible when you look at the rim, and as its in a slab, you cant really see it, as on ICG slabbed coins the rims are fairly hidden...

If that's the case, I would expect the coin to fetch near full value when sold, perhaps 70-80% and with some wild bidders (ebay) it might see full value. Being the major key date coin of the series, it will sell easily.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11182 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  10:47 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ICG had some of the best counterfeit people known at one time so if its in an ICG slab you can be pretty confident its authentic so I don't think that would be a problem

Indeed, ICG is 100% legit as a TPG.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
13966 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It WILL sell easily, no doubt about it. I would expect 75-80% of FMV.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4985 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  01:35 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a detail damaged coin the value from greysheet or current bid price would be 50% on the high end and as much as 90% off for one with more damage, especially if the damage interferes with the main design of the coin or the part people pay for the VDB or the date/mint mark.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05