Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My first large cent

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:13 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add okiesilverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey yall.. Kind of new to the forum. I've wanted a large cent for a while and yesterday I came home with one. Sort of an impulse buy. It is a 1853, I paid $26. How did I do? Also curious what you think it would grade at?

thanks. Ken

Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Whytlash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ken!

Awesome! My first large cent was an 1853 also. I'd call yours a high Fine or low Very Fine (F15 to VF20 - but I'm leaning more toward F15) and $26 is right in the ballpark with Numismedia FMV (Fair Market Value). Great pick up!

Careful though, they can become addicting.

Steve
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BoomerSoonerOKU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cent, Okie! Which shop did you stop by?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1408 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile Check cipster's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome Ken,

I think it's a good choice and the price seems reasonable. There are many of us on this forum who love the old copper coins. I hope you will join us so we can to see your future purchases.
Member ANA
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capturedyou to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin! I've seen worse prices. :)
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiesilverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve... thanks. F15 sounds good to me. I know I'll be buying more soon. I am really starting to get into coins that aren't made of silver. These old cents are so neat.

Boomer... this coin came out of 26th and Sheridan. Also left with a really nice 1910s Barber dime, grading fine. Richard is a pretty decent dude and his prices are always very fair.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4342 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin ... watch out ... you can soon be addicted.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okie

You better watch it or you'll soon be changing your name to okiecopperdude.
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add terrib to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A large cent was one of our first purchases. It was so cool to hold something that old, in such good condition. You could almost picture past amilies saving or spending the coin. Great purchase - hope you enjoy it!
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BoomerSoonerOKU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I've found some good deals there, Okie. Sometimes you have to dig a bit, but that is part of the fun. Leave me some good stuff though, will you?
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin,
I just got one of those from vermontensium's "then and now rare coins" ecrater store, which I highly reccomend for $3 . But you coin is in very good condition compaired to mine. Nice buy!
Roll Hunting Finds
2 buffalo full dates
3 war nickels
1 silver dime
1 NIFC
Pillar of the Community
United States
2680 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:53 pm  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice large cent!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  01:13 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[w} I like the history of the early coppers, I just picked up an 1804 half cent the other day myself, love the older Americana one can still hold in hand.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Ken:

Watch what price you pay for coppers that have a lot of detracting marks. The details of the coin would in my opinion make it a F-12, but there are way too many scratches on the head (obv.)and in the fields (obv/rev) to make this an average looking coin. Most of the late date coppers (1840s -1857) can be found in very good looking condition. Having said that, I think you paid too much for this particular coin. I'm not sure what 1853 variety it is (n.1 to N.33) but there's not much difference in the variety prices. Again this is my opinion. I'm not looking to discourage you, just to educate you. Coppers are in a realm of their own.

Look into joining the Early American Copper (EAC) collectors group and get copies of and read the outstanding literature on the issues. Education is strength.You'll find the members very helpful.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
3179 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did OK, with a group of coins which seem to be gaining in popularity.
I think KK makes very good points.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiesilverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KK - thanks. not discouraged at all. The scratches also had me wondering on the grade, glad to know I probably over paid a little here. Normally I'd read a book before buying a coin but this was more an impulse type thing.

Sooner... heading back today for another few barbers and to check out his bid board.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05