Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1902 IHC, cleaned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:47 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Already paid more than I wanted for this cent. Now it comes in the mail and doesn't really resemble the pictures that were on eBay. Never owned and IHC though but this looks a little off to me. Has it been messed with. Luckily there is a return policy, but just though I'd double check with you guys before I return it. Thanks guys!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way is that natural color. Abusively cleaned. Return it, run away, and avoid the seller.
Edited by CaptainFwiffo
02/23/2012 7:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100+ year old copper aint meant to look that colour unless the colour is lustre.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9708 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a brown ~ EF40 that somebody used Brasso on--the color isn't natural.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  01:26 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 with either harsh cleaning or damaged area on the cheeks, no way the color is even close to original.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  02:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah right when I pulled it out of the package I knew it looked wrong. Thanks guys for confirmation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And on the bay it was advertised as Red Brown with luster. Definitely would never buy this coin for 1/3 the price I paid.
Learn More...
United States
14290 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  04:53 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF Details, sorry.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
Pillar of the Community
United States
2500 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  7:55 pm  Show Profile Check fenton's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details, dipped (unnatural color)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really know the feeling.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like someone's taken a wire brush to that coin. Very harshly cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eddiespin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, that really does look harshly cleaned. Too bad for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like someone's taken a wire brush to that coin. Very harshly cleaned.

I agree a wire brush was most likely used on this coin. Nice details too bad for the scrubbing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05