Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Elizabeth I sixpence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
145 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add carleroo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi. I have an Elizabeth I coin (sixpence?), but I'm not sure. Can anyone give me some insight on this coin - value, condition, etc.?
Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the relative size of the bust I suspect you have a threepence. 3d and 6d were very similar in design, same legends, same rose, dates above the shield, same mintmarks. Only during the third issue, 1561 - 1577, (first issue for both 3d and 6d) sixpence had a smaller bust, and the tip of the crown was much farther away from the inner circle. Check the size, 6d should be 26 mm, and 3d only 19 mm.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8710 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much nicer than any of my Elizabethan coins. Excellent detail on the bust. Would be a top coin without the clipping, but a coin worthy of any hammered collection.

Value? Sorry. I haven't applied myself to this issue in this area of numismatics for some time. I will leave that to others, and continue to read this thread.
Valued Member
Canada
145 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carleroo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks. This is very helpful. What do you mean by "hammered". Sorry for the ignorance...I'm new to this. Also, if anyone had an idea of value, I would appreciate it.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep it handy for the "how far back can we go?" thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Hammered" is referred to the method of coin production. A blank is placed between two dies, and then someone would swing a heavy hammer down on the top die to impress the images on the coin. Nearly all issues in the UK produced until 1662 were hammered. Although as early as 1560 Elizabeth experimented with some "milled" coinage (struck by a machine).
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add satxwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin. I have some Liz I but not this nice. I've got a 1572 I'm going to send off to get certified. I just like knowing my coins are authentic.
Valued Member
Ireland
195 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sheencrofter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really new to collecting. I just wondered where you can send coins off to be certified as I'm sure I'll get hold of some I'm not too sure about.
By the way, I live in Ireland.
Sheen
United Kingdom
25 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2013  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ElizabethTudor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Carleroo,
Just in case you have this documented in your collection as a threepence...it's a sixpence! Good coin, hope you still have it!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
571 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2013  05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin Carleroo! And very nice old toning. I'm sure you wouldn't, but please don't clean it!

Quote:
I'm really new to collecting. I just wondered where you can send coins off to be certified as I'm sure I'll get hold of some I'm not too sure about.
By the way, I live in Ireland.
Sheen

Apologies for jacking Carleroo's thread, but it depends what you mean by 'certified' Sheen.

People use the term to mean slightly different things. TPGS do what it says on the tin; they offer a grading service. In countries where graded coins are part of the market, that's important. They also identify and 'certify' a coin is what they say it is and encapsulate it (put it in a protective 'slab').

Now in the UK most people don't slab their coins. And until recently, very few bothered with the 'certification' either relying on their own knowledge, the dealers they bought the coin from or from knowledgeable others at clubs or forums like this.

It costs to slab (£10/€12 to £20), so only really worth it for coins with a value some multiples of that, otherwise if you ever came to sell you risk not being able to recoup the cost.

So. If you plan to collect higher end coins, it may be worth it. But buying from a reputable source is more important.

If you want to protect the coin from damage, fine. But there are cheaper storage options than a TPGS slab.

And if you want the reassurance that your coin is what you think, well, we (as in people here on CC or other coin forums) can often do that (obviously we can't weigh your coin or inspect it other than from a photo) for free!

Just sayin!

As for TPGS, some attend the larger shows. Not sure what coin shows you might have in Ireland? Others you'd need to post your coins to. GCS is UK based and have huge expertise in UK (primarily milled, they have only just started grading hammered) coinage. PCGS and NGC tend to use UK dealers to whom you can send a coin and who then forward it for appraisal. Websearches will give more details of all of these. Bear in mind US TPGS' expertise is US coinage. They don't always get it right with UK ones. And there's the rub. In the end, it's all down to someone with knowledge doing the appraisal.
Edited by Tom Goodheart
10/28/2013 05:53 am
Valued Member
Canada
145 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2013  07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carleroo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments. No, I wouldn't clean this one.
United Kingdom
25 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2013  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ElizabethTudor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm so glad to hear you still have it, it's a great reign to follow, as so much has already been researched, leaving a world of fine-tuning to do re varieties!
Your's is BCW Sixpence EG-1:f a common variety, but in great condition for type! Oh, and bust 5A!
United Kingdom
25 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2013  3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ElizabethTudor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you had a good means to take close-ups, I'd love to look at the first 3 or 4 letters of Elizabeth?
Valued Member
Ireland
195 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2013  8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sheencrofter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tom,
Many thanks for all that information. It's very useful.
I have a few hammered coins I'm thinking of posting. Only problem is, unfortunately I've been away from the site for some time and although I've posted photos in the past, I can't remember how to do it now. I think I had to use Photobucket or one of those sites to reduce the sze. I know there was a thread somewhere explaining it, but I can't find it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
571 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2013  2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've posted photos in the past, I can't remember how to do it now. I think I had to use Photobucket or one of those sites to reduce the sze.

There's a limit of 100KB on images you want to upload directly from your computer. There is an editor built in to the site upload function, but I just resize images in microsoft Paint until they are the right size.

AFAIK direct links via a hosting site like photobucket or Flickr you just put in the url and it's resized automatically when posted.
Valued Member
Ireland
195 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2013  5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sheencrofter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tom.
I shall try that.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05