Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coin Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1862 IHC - You vs ANACS

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would resubmit, unless you really don't care what they think,
which means I would not resubmit.
My point is I believe you could get a better grade but why bother, it's the same coin
your looking at. If your trying to sell it then that changes everything.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't believe this coin got such a low grade. I don't see the slightest bit of wear on any part of the coin. Maybe the grader had an argument with his wife that morning.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4378 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  4:24 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had it pegged at AU-55 before scrolling down to see you had posted the grade already, I wouldn't resubmit it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5605 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  5:08 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the same graders that graded my (old) 1914-D as VF-20.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the grader has cataracts and smokes medical you-know-what while he graded your coin...and smoke got in his eyes!
AU-58? REALLY?
Red Book (Whitmans) says as follow
*ahem*
"AU-55 : Evidence of FRICTION on high points of design. Most of the mint lustre remains"
OK, now ,
"MS-65 An above-average uncirculated coin (which this appears to be since there is no wear at all visible in these photos) that may be brilliant or lightly toned and that has very few contact marks on the surface or rim".

OK, there is ONE mark, and it is not that big....
"MS-65 :An above-average
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1056 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Check coinsearcher83's eBay Listings Check coinsearcher83's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Little bit of wear on the jawbone under chin?
Just a busy college student working on a $1 block set from circulation.
(I'm supposed to be studying)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3182 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you planning on selling this coin here on ccf or is it for your collection?
43/76 holes filled in my Dansco 7070 (Not Including Gold Page)
Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1964 d Washington (cash register)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrickellCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is newly acquired for my collection. I think I will crack it out and send it to NGC.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eddiespin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree with the slab grading. That scratch under the eye cruelled it.
I hate to say it but that nick under the eye had absolutely nothing to do with the grade the ANA gave that coin. They gave it that circulated grade because they saw that level of circulation wear on it. That nick isn't circulation wear.

On the grade, itself, today, it could probably go MS64, but, only for that nick, as, it is in a prime focal area. Again, though, one doesn't grade circulated coins on nicks, one grades those strictly on the level of circulation wear. FWIW...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An absolutely bruuutal grade... That is one beautiful Indian... And nice die crack by the date by the way
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is definitely an MS-63/64. There's no sign of wear, and the hit on the cheek is what keeps it below a 65. Seeing undergraded coins like this in ANACS slabs is what has long kept me from using that service. My guess is that they're trying all too hard to surpass PCGS as the most conservative among TPG'ers. On the flipside, I do like to buy those undergraded ANACS slabs!

I once showed a 1916-D dime to the head ANACS grader at the FUN Show. It was in an ANACS slab, graded AG-3, and I asked if it could be slabbed as Good. I showed him a PCGS 1916-D, graded AG-3, for comparison. The latter was far inferior. His opinion was that the AG-3 ANACS coin was actually an AG-3.9 ! Thus, it wasn't worth resubmitting. It did fit the ANACS description for "Good." To make a long story short, I cracked the ANACS coin out, and a dealer bought it for Good money.

Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pinenut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In any case, it's pretty awesome especially if you got it for AU money.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13655 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would send to NGC. That coin is MS.
I'm surprised the holder doesn't say cleaned, ANACS loves that term.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16051 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I have to say is, "Whut?"
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2118 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its a nice coin regardless of what grade a TPG gives it. I would call it a keeper.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05