Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whats the deal with star notes and is mine valuable?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  8:35 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dollardime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Found this star note today. I had heard about them being replacements for notes that got pull because of errors. I know some can be valuable. Any information would be appreciated!

Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Baanos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is worth no more than 1$ for various reasons. It is not in an uncirculated shape, there is even a stain in Mr. Washington's hair I think? It is a 2006 which is too recent, and serial number doesn't appear low. If it were low and in UNC condition it would make it interesting to certain collectors and they might pay a premium for it.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collectors of US small size notes often collect b them by print run. This note is from a small print run of 640,000. Despite its condition, it may still carry a small premium to a small size star collector.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About 3 hours ago, my dad called me to tell me he got a $1 star note in change today. I have no idea what it looks like, but when he brings it to me next week, it will be my first one. No telling what condition it will be in or what year or what serial number. But, I am grateful nonetheless that he is watching out for things like that for me.

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollardime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So why the star? Am I right about it marking a replacement bill?
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Baanos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you were, stars do replace error bills which were caught.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WVUcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with lettow. most of the star collectors I know collect by run sizes. I run of 640,000 or fewer would be considered a rare run and thus worth saving. Agreed the premium on this note is not much but in time IMO it will continue to rise. It is a keeper IMO.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WVUcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cajunlady If the star note your farther brings you isn't in good shape let me know I have quite a few of them and I would be happy to send you one. You want your first star note to be a keeper.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11212 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  05:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dollardime, Check this link and it will help you understand star notes http://mycurrencycollection.com/reference/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Edited by John1
02/25/2012 08:39 am
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Baanos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So according to the table on the website, the serial number 00090822 indicates it's from the first run(00000001 - 03200000)and the prefix L indicates it's from the L column of the table. Is that correct ?
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is from the first run of 640,000 shown on the table under L for the star notes for Series 2006.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@cajunlady If the star note your farther brings you isn't in good shape let me know I have quite a few of them and I would be happy to send you one. You want your first star note to be a keeper.

Thank you so much WVUcoins! When I get it I will scan it and let you tell me what you think. Not real sure what a good shape of one should look like. I am sure there will be folds in it, I would guess. Will get your input once I get it!

I am looking forward to seeing it now. I hope it has lots of zeros in it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it has quite a few finger smudges on it, but I would still keep it. It is a lower than usual production run.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got this star note from my dad this morning. Year is 2006. Wish there were more zeros in it. I see a big smudge on the back and it has a strong fold down the center. YEP... it sure is circulated. I am going to keep it for sure because my dad gave it to me. What do you think?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High run and circulated but still nice to keep from a close relative.
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just got this star note from my dad this morning. Year is 2006. Wish there were more zeros in it. I see a big smudge on the back and it has a strong fold down the center. YEP... it sure is circulated. I am going to keep it for sure because my dad gave it to me. What do you think?

Nice to keep for sentimental value, but I don't think it'll ever be worth much over face. Just too worn. 6.912 million printed, so it is a very high run:
http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f2006_s.html
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05