Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 Indian Head Cent CUD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  4:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm not great with identifying cuds, although I know about the process in which a die break becomes a CUD, however this one really confuses me because it doesn't fully extend to the rim. I know it has previously been cleaned from the looks of it, but I would like to know what everyone thinks of this one, and if this has any extra value, because this one's a bit confusing for me... The Cud is right around 3 o'clock on the obverse...

Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 14ers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be just the photo but the color of the cud does not seem to match the coin. Could it be foreign matter of some kind stuck to the coin? I am no expert on cuds (or anything for that matter) but it seems to me by the ones I have seen, cuds can appear anywhere on coins. Nothing about the size, shape or location would say it is not a cud.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure it's the lighting, and the fact that someone just had to clean or polish this poor little Indian...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like foreign material encrusted to me not that I would know
Learn More...
United States
17308 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing that's a piece of the die which broke off without reaching the rim. Contemplate what the die will look like, in order to strike what you see.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9807 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting, because a cud would normally cross the denticles.
For a piece of the die to break out, there should be cracks leading to the cud.
If that's raised metal, I would guess a die blunder that dug an impression, but did not crack the die.
Too bad about the cleaning--VF 25 details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A piece of the die? How would that not fall off in 112 years? That's crazy to think about... But I have never heard of that, is it rare?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What originally confused me about this piece is that there is no difference in detail on the denticles or the letters, and very little die deterioration compared to the later die stages from which cuds form...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05