Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

US coins what to collect?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
drkrish21
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  5:38 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am from India , and new to US coin collections of most of you.But I am really interested to know how people from US decide on what to collect..I have seen saw many people in this community putting up quarters, dimes of different years and different heads...but what are the things you look in a coin before you put it in your collection...Please guys be more basic and specific in explaining, I am really new to US coins and US coinage history.
And what is your suggestion to a guy planning to collect US coins, how will you advice him what to collect?
Thanks

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12275 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I would normally give you some comical reply but since your in India, I guess you need an honest reply so you don't think we are all nuts.
However, your asking difficult question. Collecting coins is really supposed to be a hobby and for enjoyment. Of course there are many that do this for a possible profit. But if you don't plan on selling coins, then the only important thing would be to collect what you like and can afford.
I suggest you look into buying a copy of the Red Book by Whitman Publishing. Then scan through that book until you find a coin you like. Maybe two or three or more. Again, this is a hobby and should be for fun. So don't worry about which ones to collect or not to collect. Probably the most important thing for you would be accessibility. Being able to aquire some coins in India from here may not be to easy. Not sure if there are any coin shows or coin stores there to help you either. There are othes on this forum from all over the World so just keep on hanging around here and who knows, you may find a neighbor that is a coin collector right next door.
just carl
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Carl.. Got few valuable points from your post.... I will definitely get that book... :)
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1360 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest a type set. One good choice is the Dansco 7070 album which covers all the major types going back to the early 1800's. Another is to put together a nice high grade 20th century coin set which covers all the coins from 1900-1999
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3473 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:46 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with justcarl, what you collect should be up to you, not somebody else.Just enjoy and start slowly until you are sure of the direction you want to take.
Lincolncentresource.net
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just_carl, I've never seen you give anyone a comical or misleading reply. I'm not sure what you're talking about. :P
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12275 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just_carl, I've never seen you give anyone a comical or misleading reply. I'm not sure what you're talking about. :P

That is due to my excessively serious nature. Maybe.
drkrish21: Sort of forgot I used to work at a place called Singh, an Engineering company here in the USA. The owners family used to get me coins from India all the time and they went back and forth to India a lot. Also, lots of people from India here so coins from the USA should really be a lot more simple than some other countries to acquire. Not sure but there should be some way you could find people that do travel back and forth between here and India and get you almost anything you need in coins.
Maybe eventually we'll have an India sub forum and as well some from many other countries here.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theres a reason there are two forums for US coins Modern and Classic. I for one have no real path in what I want to collect but I do tend to sway towards the Classics. If you want one of each coin the the Dansco 7070 and a 20th century type set would be a great way to start as Jfransch said.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chuckpb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
drkrish21: Welcome to the community. That was a great piece of advice from just_carl. I am also new to US coin collection and before I dove in to this exciting (and sometimes stressful) hobby, this is where I went to get an advice. You are definitely in the right place. Don't hesitate to post pictures of any current coin collection you already have. Good luck on your adventure.
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all...its a privilege to be part of this great community...
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl... I was not able to get that Red Book on any of our online book shops but managed to download a book from net called "A guide book of United Sates coins"... :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a fellow on the forums from Egypt (eg_collector) who has completed several US sets who might have some tips for collecting US coins from abroad.

Probably the first step is to take a look at a cross-section of US coins and decide which ones you like. You'll also have to consider your budget. I agree that a type set is a good choice if you can't decide what you like best. If your budget is limited, a 20th century type set is reasonably affordable - the more expensive types are going to be earlier.

A modern series like State quarters, National Park quarters or Sacajawea dollars might be a good place to start too. A set can be assembled inexpensively in uncirculated condition, and you get a variety of designs within a single series.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
6503 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum drkrish21!

Quote:
A modern series like State quarters, National Park quarters or Sacajawea dollars might be a good place to start too.

There are plenty of Modern US coins around either online or actually in India. I would think these types would be the most rewarding to you starting out.

and then, of course,

Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05