Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Presidential Dollar Coins

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In regards to the Satin Finish issues...... You'd have to get the 16 brilliant finish coins from 2007-2010 from eBay or something.

A simple cheap trip to the coin shop can accomplish this, if you have one in the proximity, ( which I do luckily....2 of them actually)
And, that is to say if one really cares about the SF and Business strike difference with the "Presidential Dollars" to begin with....many did and do with all the "other" coinage...but maybe not so much with these ! ....
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thomas_z71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, been a while since I last got in here, had a son born and haven't really had time to do any coin collecting. My wife's grandpa loves giving up these dollars everytime his bank gets the new rolls. He was DEVASTATED when they told him no banks are going to be carrying anymore of the newly released presidential dollars. If I'm reading correctly, you will now ONLY be able to get these from the mint at $40/roll OR wait and see if they show in eBay which I'm assuming even if they do will be more than $40/roll? Am I accurate there? Thanks so much, I really want to find a way to get them for him to continue handing out. Thomas
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are correct.

Dealers need to make a profit, so they will add a premium to them.

Plus you have the Mint UNC and proof sets too, if you want just a coin of each one minted.
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thomas_z71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks alot...he gives them to all kids and grandkids so he needs just a roll of each. I guess we'll look into just ordering from the mint. Are there any tricks, coupons, free shipping gimmicks with the mint? :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(depends if Jimmy and Bush Sr. decide to go to the Oval Office in the sky by 2015 or not.)

Early 2014 for Carter, Bush can wait till the end of the year. They have to have been dead for two years before their coin comes out. Carters coin would be the third one for 2016 so he would have to die before mid 2014. Bush's coin would be the first of 2017 so he would have to have died before the start of 2015.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sralloway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the president dollars and hipe to continue my set. Since I live in Philly I can go to the mint and get the annual U.S. Mint Uncirculated Set. It works well for me because I need all those coins for my various collections. I also acquire the clad quarter and presidential dollar proof sets to fill out those collections. Have the Dansco albums for the sets (prez and quarter lack proof holes - I keep them in blue USMint boxes. Granted, I had to play catchup when I got back into the hobby a couple years back. Just like to have as complete a set as possible at reasonable costs.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cdwest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been buying the bank wrapped rolls of the President dollar coins. So far I have been able to find all but 3 of the 20 US Presidents. The ones I haven't been able to find I have purchased the mint rolls for. As for the circulated coins. If they are not too worn I put them in albums.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People didn't like the Morgan dollars at all when they first came out either, but they are almost the mainstay of the hobby now days.

Are you planning to hold them for 80 years, like you would have held Morgans before they had collector value?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They have to have been dead for two years before their coin comes out.

You mean like JFK?
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lorax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

They have to have been dead for two years before their coin comes out.

You mean like JFK?

JFK's been dead for more than two years. Don't believe every conspiracy theory you read on the internet :) Two years isn't a universal rule for coins, however, the law that authorized the presidential dollar coins specified that for this particular series an ex-president had to be dead for two years before he would become eligible. The law that authorized the JFK half dollar had no such requirement.
Edited by lorax
03/10/2012 2:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12913 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Are you planning to hold them for 80 years, like you would have held Morgans before they had collector value?

What is so difficult to think someone will do that? I know I'm going to wait at least that long just to see how much all my coins are worth. And for those pres dollars, I'll even wait longer.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You mean like JFK?

Lorax has it right. Contrary to what many people believe there is no law that forbids the picturing of a living person on US coins. Likewise there is no general law that says how long someone should be dead. So there was no problem with the immediate introduction of the Roosevlt dime or the Kennedy half. When the Presidential dollar legislation was written it specifically required that the President must have been dead for two years before his coin was issued. Interestingly no such restriction was placed on the First Spouse coins, so a First Spouse could appear even if they haven't been dead for two years. In fact if the President is eligible and the First Spouse is still living they can still have their coin.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
JFK's been dead for more than two years. Don't believe every conspiracy theory you read on the internet :) Two years isn't a universal rule for coins, however, the law that authorized the presidential dollar coins specified that for this particular series an ex-president had to be dead for two years before he would become eligible. The law that authorized the JFK half dollar had no such requirement.

No theory, just fact. The law required Franklins to be made until 1973.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The law required Franklin to be on the half unless changed by Congressional action. Congress took that action in 1963 when they passed legislation to put Kennedy on the half dollar.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05