Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941/42 Mercury Dime Grade

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  3:56 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spotsychess to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm planning to send this 41/42 Merc to get slabbed. Can I get some opinions on what its grade would be.

Thanks,
Brian

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11235 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dimes/mercury.asp http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/price...icesgd.shtml
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Edited by John1
03/04/2012 4:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF20 details, cleaned.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spotsychess to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will PGCS still grade cleaned coins? I inherited many coins from my Dad. I don't know whether he new they were cleaned before he bought them. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what the current policy is at PCGS or if they offer details grades. They used to always get a "genuine" slab. If you want a details grade, you may want to go with NGC.
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be in the F-15 to Vf-20 cleaned range to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5198 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  03:53 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with VF-20 Cleaned or genuine VF Details.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. I honestly think it looks original from the pics. I don't understand why folks are saying cleaned....if it is, it's a very light cleaning. PCGS will slab a problem coin genuine, but with no grade. I'd just send it into ANACS if cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could be wrong, but I see a lot of fine hairlines all running in the same direction, particularly on the obverse. The contrast between the light and dark coloration is too sharp. It's not a severe cleaning, but it doesn't look quite original in my opinion.
Learn More...
United States
14291 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  05:23 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure what the current policy is at PCGS or if they offer details grades.

Apparently, they do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1793-FLOWIN...em46018d1553

F15, nice coin.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spotsychess to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all. I will send it in to PCGS to see how they grade it and post the results.
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see some hairlines too, but they look scattered enough to be able to be attributed to circulation. The color looks natural to me. I could very well be wrong though. I agree with F15/VF20.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5198 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  05:21 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spotsychess: Thanks to all. I will send it in to PCGS to see how they grade it and post the results.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll agree with VF20, possibly cleaned. It is tough to tell. I can see hairlines on the obverse field, but if it was cleaned, it wasn't harsh.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  2:27 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet coin, cant wait to see the grade !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05