Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Roll Hunting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

How many Wheat Cents Have You Found?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
mrlexmark
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  11:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mrlexmark to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just recently started searing Sealed boxes of coins from the bank. I just finished 4 Sealed Boxes of pennies fromt he bank and found the following:

Box 1: 6 Wheat
Box 2: 138 Wheat
Box 3: 23 Wheat
Box 4: 7 Wheat

Anyone ever found 138 Wheat Cents in a single box before? or did I jsut get Really lucky?

Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Penny: 1906 Indian Head
Nickel: 1903 Liberty Head
Dime: 1952 Silver Dime

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woah, nice finds! Any keys? I once found about 3 wheat in one roll and that's the best I did since I don't get boxes.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZiggyZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you got really lucky. Enjoy it, but don't expect it again anytime soon!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1StarLight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most I have found is 6 in one box and the rest averaged 5. That was from 10 boxes that I sorted from 3 different regions of the US. Box one was from a northern state, the second from the midwest and the rest in NC. Found several Canadian pennies too. I think my oldest is 1935 but I will have to check. I remember that it has George the VI on it. I have about two weeks left before I go back to Garner. When I get there I can finally unpack the rest of my coins I have gathered this winter while living near Wilmington NC. I plan to resume searching my penny bank boxes then and some nickels, dimes and quarters. Definitely plan to continue searching the halves. Will see what happens up there but the only downfall is that my dump bank up there doesn't have any coin counting machines. So it will get a little more tedious having to wrap all the rejects back up in order to turn them in. hmmm.

I shall miss my godson deeply but it is time for me to head home soon. Finally, get my place up there set to rights including all the mess I have to bring back with me this trip. But the time I have spent with him has been priceless. I know that I shall even miss his teenage mouthyness (everything is a long discussion...lol). I truly wonder how mom dealt with all 3 of us kids....lol. He is growing into a young man and is wanting to be heard. I listen but when he steps too far over the line (disrespectful) then he loses computer time on MY COMPUTER to chat with his friends on Facebook. Works like a charm. He straightens up. It's like taking away a gaming console from other kids his age. He has chores and the more chores he finishes the longer I let him stay on the computer. Hmm, and that is how all those chores get done too.

He is extremely happy with us finishing out the Presidential dollars from the beginning (2007) all the way through 2011. We will still get to work on his albums on weekends that his mom allows me to bring him up for a visit. When he comes we will hunt up some coin shops and other places of interest.

He is fascinated with my coin searches and even created a group on his Facebook called "Coin Faulters" in hopes of coin discussions and also us searching for error coins to display. It is still in it's infancy.

I now have quite a run of the Canadian cents. One penny is a commemorative from 1967 that has the dove. Not very high on collectibility perhaps because they made so many but at least I only paid a penny for it and I have seen it go for around $4 on eBay. I also have a few Canadian quarters. The one I have here with me is a 1969. I traded for it at a thrift shop. I have asked my brother to save all his Canadian money until he gets back to visit me. He is an 18 wheel truck driver and comes across plenty during his long travels.
Edited by 1StarLight
03/05/2012 12:35 am
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrlexmark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
most I found in one roll was 13 wheats
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After almost 50 boxes... most I have ever had was 17 wheats. I remember one member getting a full box of wheats that also had like 9 Indian Head cents.
Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrlexmark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oldest one I got was 1917. Also found a 1957 that looked to be uncirculated
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember for sure but it was at least half a box of CWR's. I average 5-10 wheats per box.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  05:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrlexmark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where do you get.CWRS? My banks only have sealed boxes
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just luck of the draw. Ask, once in awhile they will have CWR's.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FélixStP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow nice luck! Sometimes when I find 1,2 or 3 Wheat cent in a roll, I'm happy, where I live I find more old USA pennies (1950-) than canadian 1 cent :P
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most wheats I have ever found in one box is 47! The average box is 8.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most I've found in a box is 10 wheats. But when I got some loose rolls once, one of them was a solid roll of wheats. And another time I found 12 in one roll.
"A poor Roman plays the Goth, a rich Goth the Roman." - Theodoric, King of the Ostrogoths

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 224, Byzantine: 21, Post-Roman Germanic: 17

Affordable ancient coins on sale! Now reduced!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1415 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get boxes. In canada, I found two wheaties from circulation and that's it.
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as CWR's are concerned, just ask. If you have a large number of banks at your disposal, go into five of them and request $5 worth of cents from each bank. Most tellers keep a rubber banded group of ten rolls in their drawers, and frequently they will be CWR's. I have been doing a number of cent boxes the last few months, and have had similar results as everyone above. A few years ago I found a box with over 600 Wheats in it, but never came close to that since. Personally I LOVE CWR's; I have a Chase bank that I frequent in a very affluent neighborhood that is very small (all of the tellers sit at desks) and they never get anything except CWR's. One roll I got from them a couple weeks ago contained these:

Not the best of condition, but at at face value, who cares!

The roll contained 34 wheats, and nothing dated after 1980.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrlexmark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find coppernickeldaddy. I to have chase banks around here, which is where I usually get them sealed boxes from and the teller says other people come in and get boxes then return them with a roll or 2 missing. So there are others near me sorting coins so with my luck I woulud get there rolls which would have nothing in it.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05