Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Do any other other Aussies collect US and Canadian coins?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
trout1105
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  6:37 pm Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have recently ventured into collecting US and Canadian coins as well as upgrading my Aussie sets.
The Canadian coins complement my Aussie pre decimals just nicely and the US coins have so many types it is a real challenge to get sets together.
Just wondering if I am the only one doing this or if there are any other transcontinental collectors out there.

Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not eye McFly..too many here to collect let alone going off shore but I do have a few that I've got noodling over the years

A rough list I have is
canadian first
1911 1 cent (looks like half penny), 74 1 cent, 68 5cent, 94 25cent and 79 50cent.

US 1911, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 93, 2009 and 2x 2011 1cent
also have 1944, 67, 2x 73, 74, 83, 84 and 2x 87 dime and 79, 83 and 86 5cent

and a few different world coins as well
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have quite a lot of both US and Canadian coins, but some of the 'keys' are very expensive, so I doubt I'll ever fill some of the gaps.

A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not in this field, but I collecting world silver coins, both Proof edition and circulate coinage in any countries´╝îthis is one of my canadian silver coin collection.

img lost
Edited by nicwinner
03/09/2012 06:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:09 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins nicwinner
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, sorry I just try to fix that picture size, bit hard upload pic via this forum. any one know how much this worth? i'd like sell it if anyone interest. only post in Australia, ta!
Edited by nicwinner
03/09/2012 06:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:16 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan on venturing into US and Canadian coppers when I start working again. The little spare cash I have now is going into predicimals and 20c proofs. Hard to source bulk lots here which I think is an important step in learning bout a certain collection you plan on starting. Much can be learnt from looking at a very wide range of wear exhibited well in a bulk lot.

I have a dream of taking my collection in the direction of all copper coins with british monarchs on them and canada would be included in this for sure.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:16 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
yeah, sorry I just try to fix that picture size, bit hard upload pic via this forum. any one know how much this worth? i'd like sell it if anyone interest. only post in Australia, ta!

Your only option at this point in time is eBay.
You need 250 posts to sell/trade on this site.
i have no idea of the value of these, are they a bullion set if so how much silver is there.
If they are a commemorative set may be worth a premium over spot
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how can I quote other's reply... thanks Trout
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote enworb:

then you need collecting a lot, because USA got heaps of copper coins both in circulate and special issues, that's a long way to go :)
Australia
10705 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
North America is a major component of my collection. I keep any dates/mintmarks of American and Canadian coins I receive, making America and Canada my #2 and #4 countries in terms of number of coins (Australia is #1 and Britain is #3). My parents have visited there frequently over the past few decades, and I went back to Canada, the land where I was born, in 1983. I am trying to put together at least a type set of Canadian circulating coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  07:01 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that sap I thought I was alone in this endeavour.
Canada and Australia are both commonwealth nations that started with colonization and are very complimentary as a coin collecting and historical viewpoint.
The US coins are attractive in that they have so many different coins there to collect and is a huge challenge to do so.
I have quite a few Brit coins but they don't have the same attraction to me as the Aus and Canadian coins
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8397 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinwise, my comments are the same as Sap's, but a smaller collection in each area. Not extensive enough yet to go down the type set route. I have coins in all three metals, in the countries (and a few others), that Sap has mentioned.

I do have more than 200 coins (in all three metals), that are over 1,000 years old, from all over the World as well.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  08:14 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coin Wise, my comments are the same as Sap's, but a smaller collection in each area. Not extensive enough yet to go down the type set route. I have coins in all three metals, in the countries (and a few others), that Sap has mentioned.

I do have more than 200 coins (in all three metals), that are over 1,000 years old, from all over the World as well.

it is nice to know that there are other people out there thinking outside the square.
Diversity makes for an interesting collection and keeps the thrill of the hunt alive.
The research and the grading of different coins from different countries is always a challenge and will only enhance my interest in numismatics.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
763 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I few American and a handful of Canadian coins, but I don't actively collect them as they're not easy enough for me to get my hands on (and my Australian collection is far from complete too).
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
611 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few "world" coins like US and Canadian ( ) but I prefer the british ones. They have such a long history. Currently my oldest coin is a 1835 sixpence but I plan to get some older ones. I like having a monarch on the obverse which identifies the era of a coin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05