Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Memorial Pennies - New to collecting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:23 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nmwald1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi there
I'm new to the world of collecting and decided for the simplicity to start collecting Lincoln pennies. I picked up four different Whitman coin holder books. Two of them were for the Lincoln Memorial cent.

I'm having a hard time distinguishing between the memorial cents and the regular ones, other than obviously the Wheat cent design. Going through my question the majority of pennies I've now filled my regular Lincoln Cent books also carry the FG marking on the right side of the memorial. Am I right in thinking that each of these memorial years these were the only pennies released and will all have the FG on them or is there some difference in the memorial coins that I'm missing?

Thanks for your time and patience with this question

Sincerely

Nathan

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10882 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF Nathan. If you click on US Coin Facts in the left hand column and then on Lincoln Memorial Cents you will find some information.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1280 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11197 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:32 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

All cents issues from the years 1959-2008 have the memorial reverse. And yes, they will all have the FG on them, representing the initials of Frank Gasparro, who designed the reverse of the Lincoln Memorial cent. All Lincoln Cents 1958 or older carry the original "Wheat" reverse, which was designed by Victor D. Brenner who also designed the obverse. Of course, in 2009 the Lincoln Cents carried a set of 4 different reverse designs to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth (as well as the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Cent), and then from 2010 to the present the cents have the new "Shield" reverse.

Hope that helps!
Learn More...
United States
21302 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05