Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

california state quarter . whats wrong with this

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
cia90
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:12 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cia90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

this coin has all kinds of stuff going on,, stars are all over it, some are plain as day some need to be adjusted to light to pick up detail but its wild looking, what gives?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a full picture of the obverse and reverse? Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
11189 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:27 am  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a pressed coin issue. By the light I can see the stars are incuse. How? The raised devices have the light on the left. The incuse devices have the light on the right in this image. Also the star is pressed into the E on WE. Interesting image. Do you mind if I keep it?
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cia90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sure keep it! iam taking some more pics,, there is other letters out of place and extra letters that dont make any sence. ill post in a bit
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cia90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
more pic

Pillar Of The Community
United States
11189 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:02 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.

Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
11189 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:04 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder what they used? I can see OF AM mirrored on the bust. What coin has stars on it?
Richard S. Cooper

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cia90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
all I can think of is the new gold dollars? on the outer rim?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stars remind me of the Susan B, but not the Of A
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KisNap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Standing Liberty quarter has stars on the reverse.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking a Sacagawea dollar reverse, which has stars, but the "OF AMERICA" font is serif on those. Like Drsandman2 says, the stars match SBA, but it doesn't have that oblique, sans-serif "OF AMERICA" on it. It's not a match for any other denomination. Maybe it's one of the other state or territory quarters?

Aha! It's an Indiana state quarter.

Edited by CaptainFwiffo
03/12/2012 10:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great call, Captn'!
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cia90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats it! the (of a)across the face ..the larger and smaller stars .. so what do you call a coin like this with one state over another
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A damaged coin. Somebody squeezed the two together in a vice.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vise job
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drewmiller86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detective work guys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05