Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question concerning walking liberty half dollars

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
231 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:02 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi Folks
Have a question concerning some liberty half dollars. I have the following half dollars 1946, (2) 1941, 1942, 1940,1945d, 1943, 1941s. Anyway I know someone who say's he collects these and wants to buy them. I have had them for approx 15yrs and the person say's they are only worth melt value and has offered melt value prices for them. My question is, is this a ok deal, I know none of them are key dates. I don't collect half dollars and am trying to buy a commemorative I am interested in. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for any info. I've added photo's of the coins.

Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though none of these are key dates all of them look to be in at least AU condition and some in UNC condition and I believe that alone would make them worth more than just spot price from a collector. I do not follow the series so I am not sure what you should expect but usually the ones that are only worth spot price are pretty worn and these coins are not what I would expect to see when someone is offering spot price
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These could probably get a little over melt.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3499 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:33 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned on previous posts your coins are of a collectible grade AU to MS in what we can see. The 1941 s is easily worth twice melt value (in my opinion) and you should be able to sell for a much better price than melt for these popular coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2794 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10 percent over melt is reasonable.
To get this, you might trade for the commemorative that you want.
Just what commemorative do you have in mind?
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Edited by matthewvincent
03/11/2012 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others that these are worth more than melt based on their appearance.
Do another 70 posts on here and you could list them here and get more than melt.

Yeah, what Commemorative are you interested in? You might be able to do a trade.
Edited by okiepb
03/11/2012 1:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking at getting the 1936 gettysburg commemorative. I know price wise it is worth way more then the half dollars. Just trying to add some funds to what I already have. May try listing on craiglist. Have had some success selling some other coins that way. I do appreciate the opinions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find Walkers of those dates/mints in comparable condition in bulk silver tubs down this way aaaalllll the time. This is not to say that you could not obtain a premium over spot price by careful and creative marketing.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need for careful and creative marketing. If they are only worth melt value then that is what they are worth. Just wanted some opinions on them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would sure get at least 30% over melt.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're worth what someone is willing to pay. I sold a partial set of three weights in abused condition for $51. A new set of seven sells for around $10.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2020 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  08:56 am  Show Profile Check trdhrdr007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my area you can buy all the common date silver you want in G-EF at melt or slightly over, AU-BU common dates will sell for 10-20% over melt but it takes a while.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$18 to $25 a piece all day and all night on the bay. Much better than melt.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1334 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Minimum $18 each!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12630 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At coin shows those would all be in the $18 to $25 range. At a coin store much more. Even for you to sell them to a dealer at a coin show, you'ld get a lot more than what you've been offered. Of course you have someone that wants to buy them. And if for those prices he is offering, why not. Obviously not a freind.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the opinions. I decided I will just hang onto them for now. I know they are common coins but I have had them for 15yrs kinda have mixed feelings about selling them.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05