Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Santo Domingo 4 Maravedis?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:19 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mikelley to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

These copper coins were probably from the Santo Domingo mint during Carlos y Juana's reign in the early 1500'S. They are very corroded and hard to photograph. The first four coins look like four maravedis and the fifth may be a two. The Sixth is an unknown and appears to be dated --63 and has what appears to be a counterstamp with VI. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Edited by mikelley
03/11/2012 11:47 am
Pillar of the Community
France
1328 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:01 pm  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last one has a lot of counterstamps on it : the date was for the last one applied - 1636 6 maravedies
For the fifth I'm not sure, looks like the RX counterstamp from 1658 / 1659 (check out here : http://www.maravedis.net/felipe4.html)

The first ones are santo domingo 4 maravedies.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EAGLE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The first four coins thay you picture are 4 Maravedis pieces. I have not seen a 2 Maravedis piece and am aware only of the devalued 4 described below. Your sixth coin bears a resemblance to a "Lion & Castle" 8 Maravedis stated to be from the 1640's, currently on eBay. The image I have included is of three 4 Maravedis coins of Caroleus et Ioanna circa 1535, a part of a hoard unearthed in the Domincian Republic by Hurricane Cleo on 08/04/1964. I obtained them in 1965 from the dealer who went there and brought back all but those that were retained by the government for museum display. The obverse shows the Inscription, CAROLEUS ET IOANNA", a crowned "Y" with "E4" (called Type II) or "FIIII" (Type I). The third coin is an E4 that has been counterstamped with a key that has a diamond shaped head devaluing it to 2 Maravedis. You can see the diamond shape of the key on the reverse of the "Key" just below the crack at the top. Only 25 of the "Key" pieces were found in the hoard. The reverse has the inscription, "REGIS ISPANIARUM ET INDIARUM" around the rim and depicts the crowned Pillars of Hercules with the letters "S" and "P" respectively to the left and right.
Pillar of the Community
France
1328 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  06:57 am  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are more complete ones, of different types : IIII and 4, plus the key counterstamp devaluating those to 2 maravedies

Edited by MathieuMa
10/08/2012 06:58 am
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikelley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input Mathieu. I picked these up in Madrid many years ago and paid almost nothing for them. I was unaware of the Santo Domingo recovery, Thanks again.

Mike
Pillar of the Community
France
1328 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  09:20 am  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Santo Domingo recovery is a part of the origine of those.
Mine come from a small hoard of 60 coins found near the Palace of Engombe (a couple of years ago).

I forgot, there are other coins minted in Sevilla for Santo Domingo, here is one of those (they are very scarce) :

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 5.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05