Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint suspends 2012 dollar coin ceremonies

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:01 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This looks like another step towards eliminating the presidential Dollar Coins http://www.coinworld.com/articles/m...-ceremonies/

Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just get rid of the dollar bill.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that makes to much sense, I understand no one wants to carry around a bunch of change because I don't like it either but if they do away with the Dollar Bill we will either have to carry them around or just throw the dollar coins in the bucket until we go cash them in for 5's or even $2.00 bills. That may get the $2.00 bills to circulate again also
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It makes sense they would cancel the ceremonies for them, since they can't mint large masses of them to collect the seigniorage.

Maybe some day they will be used by the general population.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8840 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why have the ceremonies when you won't have the coins there to distribute like they have in the past? (Of course they could have them there and offer to sell them to the general public for $35 a roll. How well do you think that would go over? Right! Well the mint thinks that too.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1471 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Unfortunately, I agree with Condor. The coin release ceremonies are/were an opportunity for the public to exchange money for rolls of coins at face value, and is really one of the few ways that the Mint does outreach to the general public and also as a gesture of goodwill. "Selling" coins above face at such events would probably cancel that out, and I guess these events always probably lost money for the Treasury Dept. anyway. It is kind of a shame, really, about the dollars and the associated events.
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  3:04 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That will save about $100k in tax payer money.
Learn More...
United States
21309 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This looks like another step towards eliminating the presidential Dollar Coins

Quote:
Just get rid of the dollar bill.
I agree. Completely.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's get rid of the dollar bill AND the Presidential dollar - and get those gorgeous Native American dollars into circulation!

I know that realistically it would probably be hard to justify minting and releasing a mass quantity of 2012 NA dollars when we have those mountains of Prez dollars sitting there gathering dust, but I just think it's a shame that those beautiful designs are almost completely unknown.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i carry alot of coins everyday so id be all for the dollar coins I agree with the elimination of the dollar bill its tiring already and has no apparent value right?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3168 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:23 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of bill folds why don't people carry around plastic coin containters - free of charge at any bank? And I'm not talking about the ones with indented parts that get mangled and torn open, I mean the twist-off kind that is reusable till the next century and then some.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
whenever I was young I remember my grandfather carrying around a change purse (for lack of a better word). It was kind of football shaped and made of rubber and you would press both pointed ends and there was a split in the top side of it and when you pressed the edges towards each other the split would open and you could get change out or put change in. They weren't huge and they would fit in your pocket pretty easily because they were slim and rubber
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a big hue and cry in Canada when the "loonie" was introduced and we got rid of the dollar bill. Now most Canadians are perfectly happy with the dollar coin and ditto with the two dollar coin. As a cab driver I would much rather have the coin than the bill. It gets tiresome retrieving or putting bills in a billfold. With the loonies or toonies I just toss them into or get them out of a cup I have stuck to the door panel.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdoricko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
God forbid if we made sense again and actually stabilized the value of our money by fixing an amount of silver and gold to it. If we did this, then it would be much more convenient to carry a small gold coin and some silver coins around, than the thick wads we need now. Or the credit / charge / debit cards that allows the government to track our money and movement everywhere, and tax it away from us, as well as the banks who slap all kinds of new and different fees periodically.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
whenever I was young I remember my grandfather carrying around a change purse (for lack of a better word). It was kind of football shaped and made of rubber and you would press both pointed ends and there was a split in the top side of it and when you pressed the edges towards each other the split would open and you could get change out or put change in. They weren't huge and they would fit in your pocket pretty easily because they were slim and rubber

They are still quite available to buy, especially in gift shops. I bought one when I was at the Hoover Dam in 2006 and I still use it. My old one, after about 20 years, kind of dried out and would not close well, so the coins spilled out easily.

It is nice to have, since the coins don't jingle in my pocket. Plus it is quick and easy to take all of the coins in and out of my pocket.

Quote:
God forbid if we made sense again and actually stabilized the value of our money by fixing an amount of silver and gold to it.

That would be a major disaster. Search around in the forums. It has been discussed.
Edited by wquinn
03/13/2012 09:47 am
Learn More...
United States
21309 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let's get rid of the dollar bill AND the Presidential dollar - and get those gorgeous Native American dollars into circulation!... I just think it's a shame that those beautiful designs are almost completely unknow
Well said. I always forget about them until I see the current version in the annual proof set.

Quote:
It was kind of football shaped and made of rubber and you would press both pointed ends
I used to use one of those when I was younger. That just brought back some good memories.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05