Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  5:08 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mnmolino to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

1) how much are they worth?
2) what are examples (pics) of different grades for these pennies?

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RO Perry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I,m fairly sure that a regular 1968 cent is worth 1 cent my friend
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silverguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Melt is 2 cents :-)
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mnmolino to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok :) I was just checking because I found a pretty one and I wanted to know if I should put it back in my pocket or in my collection (aka 5 coins in a glass jar... I'm getting a new storage place once I get to 10 coins)
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newmismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently came across a 1968 cent in circulation that, to my eye, appears about uncirculated. I put it in a flip and tucked it away with coins that have no particular monetary value but I happen to like. Nothing wrong with keeping coins you think are pretty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
P,D, or S minted Cents from 1968 in circulation grade are just worth .01 Cents to my knowledge.

Copper hunters will save these though, for that reason, but that's it......nothing to do with the "year" of 1968.

They're NOT old.
There's NO low mintage here.
No errors or varieties for this year I believe.
The last "Wheat" Cent was in 1958, and even it isn't worth much.

The "circulated" 1968 is just a plain old ordinary Lincoln Memorial cent.

Having one "slabbed" could/would be worth more......but I highly doubt it'd be worth it to send one off for grading/slabbing.

I would say, just to enjoy your shiny looking 1968 LMC, and get an album or folder to put it in......then start collecting all of the different mints and years. and stick em' in their corresponding holes.
Then you'll be having a "Lincoln Cent" collection before you know it ! ......(and you won't need those glass jars anymore !) ...
(Most every bookstore sells coin albums and folders for collectors....other coin supplies too)

Start fillin' those holes Bruhda ! ......
Edited by eaglefoot
03/14/2012 10:15 am
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As was said, keep it. If you like it, you can't beat something cool for 1ยข. Put it in a 2x2. No downside.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is more info on the 1968 cent:
http://www.coincommunity.com/us_sma...ial_cent.asp

There are a ton of pages that deal with all coins, so feel free to look through it.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mnmolino to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to say thank you all so much! I feel enlightened!

Just wondering, are there any Lincoln memorial cents that are worth more or more valued because of the year (and/or mint) they were created in? I know anything 1982 and earlier is worth .2 - .3 cents depending on the price of copper/ the buyer. I'm wondering if what year/mint I should keep my eyes peeled for. (keeping my eyes peeled sounds painful.... I think I'll just look for the pennies rather than peel my eyes for them....)
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RJP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1983 LMC has the double die reverse, and that has been found in circ before.
1984 LMC has the double ear.
1995 LMC has the double die obverse
And there are a few more listed in Cherry Pickers Guide Volume 1
Good reference you should pick up a copy and start a library, I have about 50 books today and are always looking to add to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10875 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1997 double ear lobe, I found three so far roll searching and my nephew two.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The easiest ones to find and you should find a few, if have lots of Philly cents in your area and if you look through thousands of cents, are the Wide AM of America on the reverse for:
1998, 1999, and 2000.

1998 is the most plentiful I have found, then 2000, and just 1 1999 cent.
Check out this site and look under RDV-006 and RDV-007 and select the "Link" link.
http://www.varietyvista.com/Lincoln...0Changes.htm

Also, another site, if you want to get some books on it, is at:
http://conecaonline.org/attribution_guide.html

Most are sold out, but search Amazon, eBay, etc and you might be able to find some.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12682 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a Lincoln Cent Resource web site too that lists almost anything and everything about them.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep BU 1968's as I was born that year. I keep BUs from my wife's, brother's, kid's and niece's birthyears as well.

Keep what you like. I think 1968 is a very undervalued year! :D
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05