Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

VAM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:35 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Could someone tell me what a VAM is? and if anyone has any pics that would help. Thanks

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6722 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is a VAM?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that... thanks bobby. But is a VAM just doubling or a die clash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, its not that simple, and I'm by no means anything but a beginner still.

Read it again, slowly, study the terms, and read, read, and look, and look. Cruise the discussion boards and here at CCF. You will catch on.

If you read a discussion from a post here re a VAM, or the Morgans and have a question, post it as a reply in that post, or post a new question.

There are many wise and experienced Morgan lovers here that love to share their knowledge.

Best of luck!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks southsav. Ill re read it a few times. But what I caught on to that they were doubled and clashes. And ill look at a few threads
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3742 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look up Vamworld. All Morgans and Peace dollars have been assigned a VAM number. Be careful, it's very addicting....
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest reading through the VAM subsection here and looking at what everyone is posting. Once you start catching on, you'll be browsing eBay like a hawk..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4143 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too am just a novice collector of VAM's, so please don't take this as a expert answer

Let me try a simple answer

VAM's ... are a effort to identify die marriages of all obverse/reverse die's of Morgan and Peace dollars.

I am not sure how many different sets of die's were used each year. But let's say one year they used 50 different sets of die's. VAM's are a effort to identify each of those 50 die sets. Of course you also have to add in that sometimes those die sets were swapped, one particular reverse die may get used on 2 or 3 different Obverse die.

Let me give a example .. this is not exactly how it happens .. but just a general idea how I think it works

pick a year, say 1878. VAM 1 would be the first die set that was identified for that year. When something happened to this die set, like a die crack or die clash, you would start to see VAM 1A, VAM 1B.

Also mint employees would do work on the dies, leaving marks ...polish marks .. die gouges from tools.

For me the more marks you can find on a coin .. the easier it is to identify the VAM. Dates and mint marks were hand stamped into the die's so they will be in different position, so they are also a good way to help identify VAM's
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a VAM is just a die marriage that has been categorized. Each Die Marriage of each date will have a different VAM number. it is not an error but each die has their own distinct features that make them different varieties of the series
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cali_Nick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for asking, I feel I understand VAMs better now as well ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2642 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:08 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A VAM number is the catalog number for a specific die marriage (reworded Bryan1315 explanation).

Leroy VanAllen and George Mallis (combined names and get the acronym " VAM") in the 1960's noted the large number of "varieties" present in Morgan dollars and decided to catalog these varieties.

If you study the VAMWorld pages for Morgans you'll discover their methodology. These are listed by year and mintmark first, then major design variations (especially evident in the first year, 1878, listings ... 8TF, 7/8TF, B-1 Reverse, B-2 Reverse and finally the reverse of 1879 reverses C-1, 2, and 3). The obv and rev dies are numbered and each year/mintmark may contain several. Changes to these numbered dies (either through mint engraver tweaking or significant change due to wear/deterioration) get noted by Leroy and assigned a unique number.

It can get confusing. In a perfect world the first dies used that year would be VAM 1 and changes would be listed chronologically. In Leroy's imperfect world, these changes were not discovered in order. He's done the best job imaginable under these limitations.
So many coins, so little time ...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05