Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 On Line Coin Auction Discussion Forums
 Auction | eBay, eCrater, Heritage, Paypal, etc.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

The old 'bay "unsearched rolls"

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
TonedMo87
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  9:14 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've been an avid eBayer for 6+ years, and not once have I had a bad transaction. I've been smart, and used what I know to avoid scams. One that still interests me here is the "unsearched rolls" on eBay for literally hundreds of pages for all types of coins. Some members have 10,000+ 99.9 positive feedback etc... I know they've been searched, I'm not questioning the authenticity. What I'm questioning is if its worth it? I've done a search on here about it and turned up some old posts, but has anyone had ANY luck at all on this?
I really dont mind spending 10 bucks on a few rolls to see what its actually all about... I would feel bad for the unknown buyer spending lots of money on something like this.

I would bet 99.9% arent stock photos..

Moved by Forum Mom from Classic US Coins forum to Auction | eBay, eCrater, Heritage, Paypal, etc. forum.

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add seateddime48174 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Forum Mom to remove attempt to circumvent the bad word filter. This is a family-friendly forum. "I've been smart, and used what I know to avoid scams" be smart, use what you know to avoid this scam. if you like to gamble, buy 100
scratch-offs, im willing to bet you would do better.
Edited by seateddime48174
03/15/2012 10:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dad, who knows nothing about coins, bought me a couple 'unsearched' rolls of wheaties a few weeks back for s's and giggles. I laughed and said thanks for the gesture, but even HE knew that they were not unsearched.

The only story I've heard from someone on another very reputable coin forum was that they bought some wheat cents in a baggie that some guy had found hidden in the back of his closet. The seller didn't claim that they were 'unsearched,' just that he had found 'em and didn't want 'em. The buyer (who was/is well established on this other forum) found an AU58 1955 double die in the baggie. Coin was authenticated and that was that.

I'm sure there have been legit finds, but with the advent of 'salting' rolls, who knows anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  09:32 am  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to buy out of curiosity, do it. I did for fun and I will never do it again. The majority of the wheats that MIGHT have been interesting to me as hole fillers were severely whizzed. It was salted with an IHC and I can see how people new to collecting might get jazzed because they found "brilliant red" wheats or an IHC.

I kept them as a learning tool for myself and I show them to my son's friends who have expressed an interest in collecting.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As of what I expected from the majority of people. I think its just a nudging curiosity that I probably cant leave alone, for the sake of just trying it. I'll let anyone know if I decide to order some... I wont go over 10 dollars, and it's gotta be some free shipping!
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvandemark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once sold a truly unsearched roll of silver Rosies. I was selling them for a friend of mine that was moving overseas. The closest I came to searching them was running them through a coin counter because they got to me in a jar.

Of course to be fair, the only reason they were unsearched is because she let me have my choice of 1 Morgan and 1 Peace dollar as my payment for helping her out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cant pass that up!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8939 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  02:08 am  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess would be there are in fact legitimately unsearched rolls out there on eBay. The problem is the overwhelming majority of the rolls have been searched and it is impossible to tell which ones are which.

I feel bad for the small percentage of honest sellers who really are selling unsearched rolls as they would get much better selling prices if it wasnt for the influx of searched rolls trying to be passed off as such
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05