Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

does one out rank the other

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  02:23 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add latebloomer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

i am very curious, trying to understand the lingo with in the industry regarding the description of a coin. does any of these three outrank the other to make a coins value go up?
1)anacs
2)pcgs
3)ngc
if so why?

Moved by Forum Mom from Ancient, Greek, and Roman Coins forum to Third Party Grading ( TPG) forum.

Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  03:13 am  Show Profile Check Biancasdad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi latebloomer,

IMHO, in the field of ancient coin collecting, it really doesn't matter which grading service one uses if they choose to have their coins graded and slabbed. All three of these companies are well known and reputable, however, the vast majority of ancient collectors do it for the pure enjoyment and not as an investment; as a numismatic study; as a historical journey through time; and so coin slabbing isn't really necessary for most of us anyways.

Also, I think most would agree, that handling and studying our coins on a regular basis is part of the allure of the hobby, and as such, many collectors frown upon the idea of slabbing an ancient coin. After all, the coins lasted 2000 years already. I am sure they will be fine for now without being entombed in plastic.

As a comparison, consider a Morgan dollar. A completely different scenario. Go to any local auction and you will see slabbed Morgans. For every purist collector of Morgan dollars, there is likely two collectors (or investors) who are just accumulating collectable bullion silver as a investment hedge in their portfolio. As such, grading and slabbing is necessary for them to realize their investment objectives.

Having said all this, I realize that slabbing has a place in the high octane world of ancient collecting where big players are paying tens of thousands of dollars for premium grade rare specimens. In this case, a particular grading service may have preference over another for reasons that don't have anything to do with why most of us collect ancients.

Anyways, welcome to the hobby. There are many members here that are far more knowledgeable than I that are always happy to answer questions or share their expertise on a particular subject.

Regards,

-Kurt

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10969 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think PCGS because they seem to be more accurate with their grades and seem to be more professional in the eyes of collectors. NCG seems to be geared towards the non collectors like grandparents buying coins for their grand kids kind of thing. ANACS grades well enough but they are just not in the publics' eye so the selling prices are a little lower then PCGS, IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8730 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The high rollers are doing quite well with top ancients.

A gold stater of Pantikapaion estimated at 5,000 pounds in 1978 by David Sear in Greek Coins and Their Values, came up at auction recently.
From the Prospero Collection, an example of this coin realised $3,800,000.

That works out to a compound price growth rate of 20% per year for 34 years.

I am reasonably certain that none of the coins in the Prospero Collection were slabbed. They wouldn't need to be.
The whole collection realised a total of $26 million.

I would just love to collect and study ancient coins purely for fun with those stats.!

Edited by sel_69l
03/21/2012 07:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  11:21 am  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS definitely leads the pack, followed by NGC and then ANACS far behind. NGC is starting to get better notariety lately.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1354 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There may be a reason that the American Numismatic Association uses NGC as their "go to" TPG Grader. Reliability! PCGS is 2nd. Forget ANACS, resale is not as favorable compared to PCGS or NGC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS and NGC are on par with each other. PCGS has a big tough-guy reputation which is why people pay higher premiums; however, I've seen just as many goofs in PCGS holders as I have in NGC holders and both of them have the same caveats in their contracts to wiggle out of responsibility. :-)

ANACS is "second-tier" (again, reputations!) but they do all sorts of variety attributions that the other two don't (which is more attractive to a number of specialized collectors).

In the end, all three do the job well and have their own strengths and weaknesses.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjtm92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PCGS and NGC are on par with each other.

Exactly! Anyone who says that one is better based off facts instead of preference is wrong. Even for the extra-rare high graded coins! Go to any Red Book, and look up the Top 250 Auctions. In the first 50 alone, it's almost half PCGS and NGC, I know I just counted. PCGS has 24 in the Top 50, while NGC has 19 and NGC has 3 of the Top 5.

Both are very dependable and they obviously try to be as accurate as possible, their reputations depend on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8900 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There may be a reason that the American Numismatic Association uses NGC as their "go to" TPG Grader. Reliability!

There is a reason but reliability isn't it. The reason is much simpler, NGC offered to pay the ANA more money to be named the Official Grading Service than PCGS did. Every few years the contract expires and the ANA puts it up for bid. They invite all the active grading services to bid on the "honor". I don't know about the most recent round but the one back in 2002 when NGC took it away from PCGS the offer included cash, the perk that allowed ANA members to direct submit without having to buy memberships, and a package of free submissions for the ANA Board members. In short it's a bribe for an advertising perk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1354 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I don't see it that way, A bribe...hardly! If the ANA thought that NGC had reliability issues they wouldn't bother with NGC period. Personally I find PCGS grading somewhat erratic as of late. As I am a Slab cracker I only buy the coin not the Slab but I find that NGC is more reliable as of late.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8900 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well consider that they extended the invitation to bid on the contract to SGS I don't think reliability was high on the agenda.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Sorry, but I don't see it that way, A bribe...hardly! If the ANA thought that NGC had reliability issues they wouldn't bother with NGC period. Personally I find PCGS grading somewhat erratic as of late. As I am a Slab cracker I only buy the coin not the Slab but I find that NGC is more reliable as of late."

They werent saying that NGC has reliability issues. Its entirely possible for PCGS to be better and both to be reliable. Obviously the ANA isnt going to select a no name grader and will select one of the best, but the above poster was right that it does come down to who offers the best perk when bidding is involved. If they were solely concerned about who was the "best" they wouldnt have a bidding just select someone. Its not to say NGC is bad, theres clearly a minimum standard that has to be met, but being selected doesnt mean they are better
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05