Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

making my own coin flips

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
hermanwilliams
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  8:05 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I want to make my own coin flips that are quite a bit larger than the regular 2x2's. I'm probably just going to use regular notecards, maybe 3x5 or the next size up. Undecided about that for now.
Question is: Where do I get that mylar material that is used in the regular 2x2 flips? Does it come in large sheets?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like daunting work, they do make larger sizes so you don't have to. When I was a teen, I used to make my own "flips" with a Rival "Seal-a-Meal". Surprisingly they held up real nice after thirty years!

Here are rolls of the material;

http://newtonmachinetopshop.com/sal...11-Rolls.htm
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/23/2012 8:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  8:47 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you doing it to save money or to get custom sizes?
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mostly just want a larger card to be able to write more info on. I've never seen them larger than the typical 2x2.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5852 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they do sell flips in 2.5 x 2.5 Local coin shops may not stock them, but you can order online.
These are on Wizard 2.5x2.5
they also sell the inserts
Edited by Fuzzy317
03/23/2012 9:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try art supply stores. You can buy sheets or rolls of it.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8398 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mylar sheet for window material, can be obtained, but it would be difficult in the small quantity required. Best to run with 2.5 x 2.5's. Larger pocket album pages would then be required, but are also available.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 Safeflips (that are required for coin submittals to TPG), I would think that there are other sizes available, Baseball cards for instance.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would staple some clear flips to front of some 4x6 index cards. Then you can see the coin and have enough room to write anything you want. They will also stand up in a plastic recipe box.

I would go for the least labor involved. I am just lazy like that.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forget where they came from but when I got my ATB 5oz er's they were in the biggest flips I've ever seen!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12284 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of all that work, why not just use those 2x2 plastic flips. Since it is the lack of room for writting, note on the plastic ones there are really two sides for either coins or information. At coin shows many times I've seen them used when a dealer wants to rant on and on about a coin so now there is a place for that info. And using them, no staples, glue, tape are needed since once folded over, sort of the same as sealing, almost.
Not sure if those are also in larger than 2x2 sizes but you could check for that also.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8398 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another idea: Use a double flip on the same coin.
If your coin will just fit in a 2 x 2, put the coin in it anyway, and staple it with double staples near, but not at the sides.
Just enclose the whole lot in a 2.5 x 2.5.
United States
16059 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  6:05 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind, you *really* don't want a coin sliding around in an excessively-large flip....
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
United States
20335 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would staple some clear flips to front of some 4x6 index cards.
I like this idea because SuperDave is right...

Quote:
Keep in mind, you *really* don't want a coin sliding around in an excessively-large flip....
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny Guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd recommend giving some more thought to using staples for anything related to coins. You're just asking for a nice clean scratch on the neighboring coins. The 2 1/2" flips noted above can provide a lot of space for notations, especially when using your computer with text processer software and different font sizes. A reasonable sized font can put a lot of information in a 2 1/4" square, on two sides if needed, then just print on card stock paper.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add COMET to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Making your own mylar flips can be a daunting task. The first thing you would need is a large paper cutter. then a heat source to attach the mylar to a card. There are a lot more steps and materials required but its a lot of hassle.

Its much easier to get larger 2x2 flips and use those.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05