Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NICKEL TONING

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  2:23 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Joe2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have complete Jefferson nickels set stored in a Dansco 7113 album. The album is maybe 20+ years old and some of the coins have been in the album for that long. Just recently I noticed that a gold-copper or gold-orange coloring has developed on many of the coins.
The coins are a mix of MS and various circulated. The toning is almost random in terms of quality of coin (but maybe more toning on the better quality than the circulated), some of ALL quality show NO evidence OF COLORING, location on the album pages and pages is random, and the toning on the individual coins is inconsistent (example 1938 center 50% of surface is golden, 1939D is 100% golden, 1939S is golden about 50% of surface around the edge, in all cases this is both obverse and reverse.
I used to live in LA and stored the albums in a heavy safe with double doors and nothing but coins in the safe. In 2010 the coins were put in a cabinet safe and moved to the midwest. In that larger safe there is only old newspapers and the coin albums.
I have never heard of nickels going gold. Does anyone have an idea what might be happening?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10778 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickels tend to tone a golden or a blueish tone. Some toned coin go for a premium if it has a real nice eye appeal.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is new to me. I see the note on pictures. Could you tell me how the picture attachments are generated. I have a digital camera with windows my pictures. What do I do now? Is there some place I can get educated?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10778 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a photo forum here that might help. I use photobucket to post photos on here,works great. Someone will come along shortly that can give you more help then I can.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several nickels in my Dansco that have the gold toning that you were talking about. I bought a few mint sets at the coin shop a few days ago and found a beautiful Jefferson that has blue and purple toning. I tried to take a decent picture, but this is the best I could do. You can make it out but not in all of its glory.

I know this thread has nothing to do with LWCs, but I also found this in one of the mint sets as well. I love it! I had to take the pic at a strange angle so you could see the different colors better.

Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one more pic of the LMC.

Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just noticed a mistake I made on my original reply..." LWC" was supposed to be " LMC". My mistake.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12620 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I used to live in LA and stored the albums in a heavy safe with double doors and nothing but coins in the safe. In 2010 the coins were put in a cabinet safe and moved to the midwest. In that larger safe there is only old newspapers and the coin albums.
I have never heard of nickels going gold

One of the problems people have using a safe is they don't realize that every time you open it, you allow air to flow in and then when closed, this new, sometimes heavy with moisture air, stays in with your coins. The amount of doors means nothing if you have moisture locked in now. And in the MidWest, the humidty is horrific and again, opening that safe allows moist air to flow in. In some areas of the MidWest, the air is a slight bit contaminated with Sulfur Oxides due to all the steel mills that used to be in some areas. Also, many of the older power stations, such as Fisk, burned Sulfur Rich coal making the surrounding areas full of Sulfur Oxides. So now every time you open your safe, you allow almost all sorts of contaminates to flow in and stay in.
As long as you continue to use a safe, I suggest you place all Albums in Zip Lock Plastic Bags. Push out as much air as possible and seal.
Or stop using a safe.
Or send all your coins to me and let me worry about toning.
just carl
Edited by just carl
03/25/2012 10:54 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Joe2012!
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add corey9493 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the zip lock bag idea in the safe, I may try that in the future.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3179 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as posting pictures is concerned, my pics are not great because I don't have a tripod or lighting, but I know the method.
I put the pic I'm using on my desktop but in "my pics" is fine. Right click,then 'open with' on the picture to see what programs you have on you computer to work with pictures. You may be surprised. You need a program that crops and resizes pictures.I use microsoft office picture manager but many programs have these features.
First crop then resize so that the pic is under 100kb and save.
Then reply using the 'reply to topic 'link, not the quick reply, which has the upload image feature.
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BuffaloBonehead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ziplock idea in the safe is a decent idea, but you could just as easily use bags of desiccants and tarnish strips provided they are both regularly replaced.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2012  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive been away, but I want to thank Just Carl for the comments. That is the only thing that makes sense. We had to buy dehumidifiers for the house, so I can really relate to your suggestions. Thanks again.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05