Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Did you know the Delaware quater was designed by a teacher?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Left
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:04 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was at barns n noble yesterday getting to whitman albums for Kennedy half dollars. In the checkout line I noticed one of the "bargain priced books" had coins on it. So I looked at it and it is a 300 page book containing the history of every 50 state quarter. Yesterday I read the story of the Delaware quarter to my little sister who is into coins and she really loved it. In my opinion the story behind each quarter is kid oriented and I really recommend it to all. It also makes great bedtime stories for kids. Nuimatists be warned theres not a word in it about mintages, proofs or errors. Neverless the book is great for its purpose

The book is called

A pocketful of History...Four hundred years of america- One state quarter at a time by Jim Noles I got it for 5.99

Roll Hunting Finds
2 buffalo full dates
3 war nickels
1 silver dime
1 NIFC
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9170 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story and interesting history on Caesar Rodney, depicted on the Delaware quarter--I had to look it up.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasinva69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The guy on the horse is Caesar Rodney, who was a delegate to the Continental Congress. Now I have to admit that until just about two weeks ago, I had no idea who he was. I happened to see a play called 1776, and it depicted, among other stories, how Rodney was so ill from cancer he had to leave the convention that was basically deadlocked over whether to approve the Declaration of Independence. Later, when his vote (in favor) was crucial, he made the 80 mile horseback ride back to Philadelphia just in time to cast the deciding vote. He was basically on his last legs yet played a crucial role in our independence. There are so many important, but lesser known characters like this in American history. I'm glad they put him on the coin. Probably not too many know who George Mason was either (from Virginia.)
Edited by chasinva69
03/25/2012 3:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool story. I will have to look for that book tomorrow.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this book might not be popular or nobody knows about it as I have found it for brand new for only $4.00 dollars and that inclueds shipping from amazon. no w I am going to buy this book.
Edited by ckrakowski
03/25/2012 5:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and I just bought it. can not wait for it to get here.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1717 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried my best to get the Kansas quarter design to be made by a teacher also, but my design couldn't compete with that buffalo.

Ah, well. There's still a chance I could nail the national parks quarter design for Kansas by placing that Iowa noxious weed in it. (That's a sunflower, boys and girls.)
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. There is a teacher on the Morgan dollar, but she didn't design it.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well the book arrived today and I confess I flipped through it already and can not wait to read it.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasinva69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got mine too. The story of Washington crossing the Delaware (depicted on the New Jersey quarter) is particularly inspirational. I didn't think there was a book in the background of these designs, but the author, Jim noles, does quite a good job.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05