Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 P Nickel offstruck at least 25%

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  02:24 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jude T Lasserre to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Came across this offstruck in AU condition and been saving it for years. Reverse has major CUD also- comments pls
Thought is might be worth something one day.
HA
tks

Poll Choices
Its a one of a kind
Can't find anything as drastic but clean

Anonymous Vote
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Jude T Lasserre!

What are you calling a cud? The center looks as if it was struck through a rag, but I don't see anything I would call a cud.

Value? Up to $20 as an OC, but maybe as much as $50 if it's a strike thru. A pretty dramatic error, in any case.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11195 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  05:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Learn More...
United States
14263 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  05:35 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
Hold on to that one

johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jude T Lasserre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Thanks everyone. Its good to have some new friends.
Regards,

Scholar and Gentleman still can be unemployed"
Valued Member
180 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wow coin,wish it was mine
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jude T Lasserre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Guess its like over 1000 times what the face value is - or more. I'd have to get it appraised.
I guess I am not so clear on CUD. So many acronyms to keep up with.
Tk You
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it's struck through, I think the central details on the reverse are just missing because being off center prevented a normal, full strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
drool I like it!

I don't think anything is struck between the dies and the coin and I don't see a cud. I just think that it being this far off center that the details of the center of the reverse were not getting the pressure needed to show the detail.

cud (From the Glossary here in CCF)
An area of a coin struck by a die that has a complete break across part of its surface. A cud may be either a retained cud, where the faulty piece of the die is still in place, or a full cud, where the piece of the die has fallen away. Retained cuds usually have dentil detail if on the edge, while full cuds do not.

I have also heard many years ago that the nickname comes from the blobs of raised metal resembling a "cud" that the cow chews. Sort of like a used wad of chewing tobacco you see on the sidewalk.
This is an old nickname that stuck for this type of error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking off center strike.

and to CCF
Pillar of the Community
United States
2249 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  7:01 pm  Show Profile Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen plenty of off center nickels that didn't have a spot of missing detail in the center. I have no clue how that happened.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jude T Lasserre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comments, I hope this coin helps my retirement fund - which is zero. HA!
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! Off-center, for sure, but for the central area on Monticello, I would say that it was struck through grease. The "C E L L" lettering just below it also looks a little light.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05