Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Project $100K. Circulating Dollar and Half Dollar Coins

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 235
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  6:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I propose a Coin Community Forum project called Project 100K where we in the course of regular commerce spend $100,000 worth of golden dollar coins or half dollars. Post here with how many you spent, where, and what if any curious anecdotes you have regarding your transaction.

Withdrawal: $25 roll. All AU or below.

3 2001 D Sacs
4 2000 D Sacs
2 Washington P
5 Garfield P
3 Jefferson P
2 2010 P Sacs
6 2000 P Sacs

Spent 4 of them at tolls

Spent 3 buying candy for my son

Spent 10 of them at the movie theater concession stand.

8 left.

99,975 to go.

Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've put at least $10,000 worth into circulation over the past number of years up until the end of the Direct Ship Program and gauged reactions. Perhaps one day soon I'll blog about the patterns of thise reactions. :-)
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have probly spent over 3000 small dollars I will get a roll a week to spend
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2012  12:07 am  Show Profile Check bkprewitt's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bkprewitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be a lot easier to contribute to this project if I could find them. I tried to find a roll of Sacs here in Austin because I thought the coins would be neat to include in plastic eggs for an Easter egg hunt for my little girl. Stopped at a few places and couldn't find a bank that had a roll. At one bank, I was given a look like my hair was on fire.
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2012  12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CPC24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You found a bank that didn't want to give you dollar coins? All the ones here beg me to take them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile Check jgfindring's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the past several years I have gotten a roll of halves and a roll of dollars each week for my own lunch/spending money and another roll of each for the register at work to give out in change. Thats not major, but $70 each week year round into circulation.
Up to 377 Countries now! Working on Canadian, Australian and Euro type sets.
Completed US sets:Lincoln Memorial w/ proof;Lincoln Shield w/proof;Jefferson w/proof;Roosevelt w/proof;Washington w/proof;Statehood w/proof;Franklin;Kennedy w/proof;Eisenhower w/proof;SBA w/proof;Sacagawea w/proof;Presidential w/proof.
Close: LWC missing 2; Liberty nickel missing 3; Mercs missing 1; Walkers missing 2. 7070 type set missing 10.
I AM A COLLECTOR! I don't care if the value is going to go up, down or sideways! I don't collect coins to get rich, but as a hobby to RELAX!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2012  2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There have been at least 4 coin shops in my area that have been doing this for some time. Friday I made a purchase at one of these and was given three presidential dollars, a Kennedy half (neither a 90 or 40%) and a couple of 2012 dimes and a 2005 nickel as change.

I really thought that it was quite neat. The only somewhat diappointing thing was that kennedy was clad and NIFC. Perhaps if I spent more money and had more change coming I'd like to think that I might have gotten one that was 40%.

I have enough presidential dollars now that I'm thinking of starting an album of them. Hope that I can get more before the mint stops the program.

I'd join the program also, but I'm torn because I'm trying to get all the Susan B's and Sac's that I can and I would hate to give away what I'm working hard to amass.

One the the owners of a local coin shop says that I'm wasting my time trying to accumulate these coins, but I disagree. However, from time to time I too will join the program. Maybe giving away a few of the lesser quality dollar coins that are worthwhile spending.

I admit that when I get them in change I do feel happy because they are not an everyday item that one sees. So yes I'll join the effort in my way because I do like these coins. Especially the lady coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1045 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2012  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i bought popcorn and lemonade at the circus yesterday. it was 18 bucks!
i gave him $2 in halves.

paid a $4 toll in halves last weekend.

none of the folks taking the money looked twice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2012  7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spent my final $8 at Starbucks on Friday and picked up another roll from the bank. It's a mixed roll of 2000-D and 2001-D Sacagaweas with three SBAs from 1979.

99,950 to go.

Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EnigmaticMindx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great idea! I'm gonna start asking for 50-100 bucks a week in dollar coins from the bank to spend. I also am going to try to get some $2 bills to spend too because I love the double takes I get when I spend them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent 3 last night for volleyball. The attendant knows me and I've been doing it for a few years. At first he thought I worked at a bank or the post office.

99,947 to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  11:31 am  Show Profile Check Merc Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great idea. My 11 year-old son is even looking forward to getting involved in helping reach the goal of $100,000 put into circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A local car wash uses dollars instead of quarters for the self-service bays, the vacuums, and the dispensers for air fresheners and disposable towels. When banks are closed I go to the car wash to get my fill of dollars. I decided to make my own roll of 25 and here's what I started with:

1x 2000-P Sacagawea
1x 2007-D Jefferson
1x 2011-P Grant
8x 2011-P Hayes
14x 2011-P Garfield

Today, I spent four at McDonald's for breakfast, the cashier took them without a hitch. Later today, I exchanged two with my friend for a $2 bill (which I will spend). Finally ,at a local coin shop, the owner had 35 Canadian dollars he saved for me, so I exchanged 15 $2 bills and five more dollar coins for the Canadian paper. So today, I spent 11 brass bucks, and that leaves $99,936 to go.

Also, I received one 2000-P Sacagawea from a vending machine after I deposited four quarters and hit the coin return button (I know some machines can do this, so I also obtain dollars this way), bringing my current stash up to 15 brass bucks.
Oldest Finds in Circulation:
Cent-1891
Nickel-1905
Dime-1899
Quarter-1893
Half-1936
Dollar-1923
Edited by SilverRoosevelt
04/11/2012 1:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent $1 in halves at a drug store. It was a younger girl and she was like "Oh wow, what are these". and when she counted the money I gave her, she said the total aloud so I could confirm it was the right amount. lol.

$99,935 to go
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Six dollars for lunch and four dollars for parking.

$99,925 to go.

Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
spent 46 dollar on gas today.

$99,879 to go.
ANA member #3169039
Page: of 235 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05