Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half copper half steel 1943 penny

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  06:10 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EnigmaticMindx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It's a good thing that steel doesn't rust or else there would be a perfectly normal explanation for this phenomenon! Everyone start your bidding wars!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ODDITY-1943...t_500wt_1156

Pillar of the Community
Australia
9183 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two possibilities:
1.) VERY thin copper plating, or
2.) a very light cast of copper colored rust is evident.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13153 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a good thing that steel doesn't rust or else there would be a perfectly normal explanation for this phenomenon!

Sort of hate to tell you this but Steel does RUST. Rusting is just Oxydation and Steel is mostly Iron and Iron does RUST. Actually almost all things that can combine with Oxygen could be said to RUST since, again, Rusting is Oxydation.
As to that coin? Already 2 bids? Are people really that dumb? This would mean that the Mint made a special type of coin for just that year with a Copper Plating over the Steel? Might even be Gold Plated?
just carl
Learn More...
United States
14578 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing more than a rusty steel cent. Seen many before.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early US copper enthusiast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1803 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya know....I love auctions like this. The seller isn't trying to say what it is definitively, just leaves it up to the bidders to make fools of themselves. I feel no remorse when I auction something and it is not misrepresented and people run it up way past what it is really worth....its not like I told them to...I can walk away with a clear conscious and extra money. I think some of us ( me included ) get upset only be cause we didn't think of it first.
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add akane17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:
It's a good thing that steel doesn't rust or else there would be a perfectly normal explanation for this phenomenon!

Sort of hate to tell you this but Steel does RUST. Rusting is just Oxydation and Steel is mostly Iron and Iron does RUST. Actually almost all things that can combine with Oxygen could be said to RUST since, again, Rusting is Oxydation.

Which one is the sarcastic post?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3934 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stage one atmospheric discoloration.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10015 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bidding is already way over value.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add northwestseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How unfortunate! :(
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EnigmaticMindx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This original post was meant to be sarcastic. I was just hoping someone would get a chuckle out of the auction. :)
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samuel tan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you guys think?
It is not trick or altered photo.
I want to know about this odd coin.
It is magnetic, means steel.
It has faint copper color in front.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1486 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  1:31 pm  Show Profile Check Coinstar's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
snake oil salesman
"The internet? Is that thing still around?" Homer Simpson.
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samuel tan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinstar with respect, I didn't grew up here didn't get what you exactly mean. Would you please explain?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13153 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1943 Cent is possibly the most replated coin on Earth. I collect them and have possibly close to 2,500 of them. Had more but gave over 1,000 to a kid.
Some have been Copper Plated. Some Chromed, some Tinned, Some Zinced and possibly mauy other metals. The ones posted here appear to be the Copper Plated ones put into circulation and the plating is coming off. I've got 3 of those so far. I've got nearly a roll of the Chromed ones, many rolls of the Zinc Plated ones and only a few of the Tinned ones. Would make my collection of those better if someone had a Gold plated one or even Silver Plated.
Normally they all sell for about $0.25 each at a local flea market.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samuel tan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl, I appreciates you respond.
As I said when I joint in last year, I am new to American coins.
How could I learn, by asking your experiences and Making Mistakes!
I just bought it, not try to sell it.
This kind of explanation is what I am after, not unintelligent comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4384 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sam tan.....I could be wrong but if you are upset by coinstars comment....? From reading the thread, it seems to me, he was refering to the ebay seller as a "snake oil slseman" not you. You kinda jumped into a thread. Next time start a seperate topic for your coin.....
"If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

― John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05