Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just got my USB Microscope Camera !  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2012  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I finally did it I bought my first microscope cant wait to get it. Was such a good price ill post some pics when it arrives in 5-7 business days
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2012  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schwanke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be watching this thread for a bit to see how you guys fair. I'm interested in a usb microscope but when I did the research I had no luck finding something that worked with Windows 7 and had other decent characteristics that didnt have varies rating problems on like Amazon or something.

Ive learned for myself its good to invest up front then replace later so I dont mind spending a decent chunk of money (less then 100$us though) on something. But it seemed like all the options were for less then 30 or hundreds. Less then 30 just seems too much of a chance of being sub par for a serious tool. Feels like its just a glorified camera with really high macro mode. Dunno. Like I said. I'll follow you guys and see how you do. .
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2012  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
well I finally did it I bought my first microscope cant wait to get it. Was such a good price ill post some pics when it arrives in 5-7 business days

Congrats. And for the low price, I don't think you will be disappointed. Once you get the hang of it and see it's potential, you'll be glad you got it. Looking forward to pics.

Quote:
Feels like its just a glorified camera with really high macro mode.

You're summary is not too far off. I see it more as a glorified microscope with photo capabilities It really is designed more for the tiny details, and it does it well. I would say that was the main reason for getting it, but it also works well on whole coin photography. Besides the low price what sold me was the simplicity of the setup: built in stand, built in light, built in software, all for under $30 bucks... And it works!

Quote:
I had no luck finding something that worked with Windows 7 and had other decent characteristics that didnt have varies rating problems on like Amazon or something.

I successfully installed it on both a Windows 7 desktop PC, and a Windows Vista Laptop. I admit the installation is not foolproof, instructions are sketchy, so some familiarity with installing drivers and software is required. The mistakes I made installing on the Windows 7 PC was connecting through a hub during setup, and forgetting to run BOTH the hardware driver and the capture software. The problem I experienced on the Windows Vista laptop was that it conflicted with the built in webcam and causes the scope to freeze temporarily. I haven't addressed the Laptop issue, since I do not use it often, but I read it can be overcome by simply disabling the webcam while the scope is in use. I suspect most bad reviews are at least partly due to installation errors.
Completed; Liberty nickels, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Franklin, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Washington clad, Lincoln no SVDB 14D, Mercury no 16D

In progress; Indian, Buffalo, Walker, Barber, U.S. Type, Morgan, Peace, Washington silver, Canada, United Kingdom, and too many more to mention.
Edited by Harry213
09/15/2012 07:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2012  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how is the microscope going harry?
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2012  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
daniels,

It is going well, I am having a blast with my new toy. It is probably the most satisfying $26 I've spent in a long time. I have enlisted it in a rather ambitious project that I'm currently working on. Recently I began inventory and cataloging of my entire World coins, Canada collection, and U.S. coins into a spreadsheet. So I am using the camera on the scope to identify, grade and photograph each coin, front and back. Then I'm using the microscope feature to identify varieties. The software comes with the capability to draw lines, angles, and measurements. This is extremely handy with identifying my Canadian tokens in particular. They are chock full of varieties some are practically impossible to identify without a tool like this. My only frustration so far is that I've already placed most of my coins in 2x2 flips ..so the reflection from the LED's on the Mylar window is sometimes difficult to overcome..

Have you gotten yours yet? I am looking forward to seeing how you do with it.
Completed; Liberty nickels, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Franklin, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Washington clad, Lincoln no SVDB 14D, Mercury no 16D

In progress; Indian, Buffalo, Walker, Barber, U.S. Type, Morgan, Peace, Washington silver, Canada, United Kingdom, and too many more to mention.
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2012  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schwanke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive had comments on the forum that the 2x2 window affects even normal camera stuff. Irritating for sure. Makes me realize though I need to take as many catalog photo shots as possible before I 2x2 them. Now this makes me wonder if I should get atleast a generic usb microscope to photo shot before I start really getting into 2x2ing stuff.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2772 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2012  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mylar in the 2x2's is pretty reflective, not very uniform in thickness, and usually not flat if there are high points on the coin above the rim. This will really mess up your shots, especially any at higher magnification for varieties. Always best to shoot the coin "raw" and then put it in the 2x2.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2012  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well being in Alaska shipping costs is real high so I had to go the cheap rout and just do the regular shipping so it hasn't got here yet hopefully by the weekend. That's gonna be my problem too all my coins are in flips or in my dansco so maybe I'll just slide the cover over and start with those I'll keep you posted when I get it.
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2012  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I have been experimenting with ways to get around the nuisance Glare problem from the Mylar 2x2's. You have to play with different combinations of light sources and intensity, distances and angles of both the light sources and the microscope. These shots were taken from the same distance, about 7 inches above the coin, using only the built in LED's as the light source. With the scope at just a fraction of an angle, just enough to bounce the reflection away. Not too much or you'll lose focus on half the coin. The close up was taken by zooming in or increasing magnification through the software. If a close up detail shot requires getting the scope right on the Mylar then I shut off the built in LED's and use an external indirect light source. My dimmable goose neck table lamp has been getting me by with that. I was able to minimize the glare just enough to suit my needs, enough to identify and catalog my coins. The focus is a little off, you can see a little glare, but its accurate enough for my need. If I wanted to capture the coin in a more accurate or perfect shot then I would just remove it from the 2x2. By the way this coin is in a 1/2 dollar sized 2x2 so its fairly large.

Edited by Harry213
09/19/2012 11:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4069 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2012  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search the forum for "smile directors" for tips on how to completely eliminate glare on holdered coins. For a 2x2 I would just take it out, but slabbed coins require a little creativity.
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schwanke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea if this works with 64bit windows 7?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I installed it on my 64bit windows 7 but is it possible to use a different viewer or take pics with a different program I just got it today
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2012  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fresh out of the box let me know what you think

Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I installed it on my 64bit windows 7 but is it possible to use a different viewer or take pics with a different program

I know that on my Laptop the default webcam image capture software, recognized and tried adopting the scope. So it is technically a webcam. And Probably will work with other software. But I wanted to keep the software that came with the scope because it already comes with LOTS of useful tools for drawing lines, angles, measurements, highlights, text etc.etc. on the coin photos. If you need to work with the photos further then do what SuperDdave suggested. Take the photo and process it using your other software to crop, auto fix, re-size, etc.etc.. I know its an extra step but it works really well for getting your photo just right.

Quote:
fresh out of the box let me know what you think

Looks great, I want to see more.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23631 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2012  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the faces on the 1943 glossy? I see a wear pattern on the motto, is it glossy there? I'm thinking it is a reprocessed coin. The surface doesn't appear original from what I can see so far.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05