Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

MC Status - How to get a "Rep"?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  12:17 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add acanadiancollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've searched the forums and contacted the RCM directly, but I'm still confused and no closer to finding out how a MC receives a "Rep". I apologize for the lengthy post but I hope it will help not only myself but other collectors (especially those of us just coming back into the hobby or quite new to it)...

It seems apparent that it's quite advantageous to have a rep as it would likely allow you to purchase coins that you may not be able to (for example the next coin in Venetian glass series). I started my quest for knowledge sending an email to the RCM asking how it seems some consumers were able to purchases coins before they became available to the general public let alone MC members. The response from the RCM included the following statement:

"I would suggest you contact our toll free number to see if you can have your own personnal representative."

With that knowledge I phoned the RCM and was subsequently told that the number of MC members exceeds the numbers of reps that they can allocate and that they are assigned to members based on several factors. When asked what those factors were I was give vague details but the rep on the phone stressed that the vast majority, if not all, of purchases must be made via phone, NOT the Internet site.

That seems odd as it saves me time by using the site to order, especially off hours. However, even when I questioned the reasoning on this I was simply told that I need to phone in orders.

This leads me to the questions I hope some of the members here can answer...

If you are a MC member and have a "rep"...

1. How do you place the majority (if not all) orders with the RCM (internet or phone)
2. Without prying in specifically how much you spend annually at the mint, can you provide a rough idea on an amount (for example, >$3000, >$5000, etc.

If you've spent the time to read this post I thank you for your patience, if you are able to provide some insight on this "elusive" subject then I thank you that much more.

Andreas

Edited by acanadiancollector
04/29/2013 12:28 pm
Valued Member
Canada
318 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coin_games to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Andreas,

$3,000+ in order to get a rep. I think they'll usually contact you first.
Glass Butterfly sold early via phone prior to the MC release and you didn't require a rep. Reps will bend the rules about limits on certain coins...20 for 20. They might give advance notice or suggestions about "Hot" coins. But it's better to follow the forums for leads on new coins or ways to get certain coins...

And to answer your phone/internet question: To my understanding the reps make commission on sales, therefore if you order online they lose that commission.
Edited by coin_games
04/29/2013 12:49 pm
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanadiancollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight, I can see now why the rep emphasized phone orders only; commission sales staff at the RCM didn't cross my mind. I'm glad to know this magic number, although not there yet I would have easily surpassed this if I could have bought some quickly sold out items from the RCM rather than the secondary market :)

Thanks again,
Andreas
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2449 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start by saying that having a rep has only two advantages to me - early access to certain coins and increased limits on some coins.

But, for those privileges, you have to manage the rep. The reps get a little twitchy if you don't place orders through them (phone or e-mail). My rep tells me she "can't manage my account properly" if I place web orders - yet she knows when I place them so obviously she can see that I ordered and thus could 'manage' them. I suspect that she doesn't get credit (read commission or bonus) for the sale if I do it myself. At the very least, orders received by a rep are an employee performance measure so she needs the order to go through her.

She'll also tell me that ordering though her is easier to which I laugh. Here's my process. I log onto the mint website, look for items I want. Put them in a shopping cart and then, delete the cart and compose an e-mail or make a phone call to my rep hoping that she's working and wait for her to place the order and send me confirmation. Then I wait a day or two for the order to appear on my website profile - sometimes they never do show up on-line so I can't see them . I have no idea how she thinks that is 'easier' for me. But it's part of the game that one must play to get access to coins like the Glass Butterfly.

Occasionally, I will order from the advance e-mail that she sends (before items are on the website) but I would only do that if I expect a sell out in less than a day (like the butterflies). Personally, I prefer to see the coin on the website because the advance e-mails don't have as much information or detailed pictures.

In terms of a rep providing additional help with orders? I'm skeptical. My seriously delayed orders don't get shipped any faster because I have a rep.

So having a rep will get you that once a year super hot coin that might sell out in minutes under generally MC release. Or if you need more than the limits of some coins, they might be able to help. Other than that, having a rep is a bit overrated IMO.

That's not to say that if the mint improves the process (which they are supposedly doing), that having a rep might become more advantageous.

Generally speaking, I think you get a rep by them finding you rather than you asking for one. The price of admission appears to be north of 3K or so and you need to buy many coins (not just a few high priced ones), but if you fit the profile and don't have a rep, calling might get you one as they realize the potential in having you as a client.

GL
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1715 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But in order to become a MC ... you can just order by phone $1000 ? I thought at least the first time it had to be by Internet.
Don't miss out and check my CCF Sales: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...llerId=26800
Pillar of the Community
Canada
828 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jsinger21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with some of the people about getting and obtaining their rep. First, all orders should be directed to your rep by either email or telephone. Yes it's a measure of their performance and they will hard for you and will look for old inventory or items that are awaiting stock or even sold out. They can't find inventory that is more than 1 year old.

I found my rep going through all avenues ordering specific coins and she took to my liking and offered me services I couldn't get online or through customer service.
Valued Member
Canada
318 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coin_games to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But in order to become a MC ... you can just order by phone $1000 ? I thought at least the first time it had to be by Internet.

There are three ways to accumulate toward MC status. Online, Phone, or Boutique. You need to be registered on the site with an email address. Afterward everything is connected to your email/Member number.
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanadiancollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the further information (by all) and I can see that there are definite pro's and con's to having a rep. As mentioned earlier hopefully the process will be streamlined in the future to integrate online orders as to require customers to gather an order simply to forward to a rep seems antiquated and burdensome for the consumers.

I'm sure I'll be hitting $3000+ mark sometime soon, I look forward to finding out first hand the pro's and con's :).

Andreas
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2449 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the most part, older inventory (awaiting stock etc) can be purchased from dealers. Canada Post offers instant gratification if you buy at a PO or relatively quick and free shipping if you order on line. Some dealers even offer discounts and I use them for regular coins (birds, silver dollars, coin sets etc). Cheaper than buying directly from the RCM. eBay can be even cheaper if you are patient.

I'm curious though jsinger21, what "services I couldn't get online or through customer service" are you alluding to? Special offers? or free stuff? Something else? They do offer those occasionally but none of the special offers have appealed to me yet.
Edited by CC-Ottawa
04/29/2013 2:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
828 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jsinger21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CC-OTTAWA,

My rep was able to get me things like the 5 penny coin set which was already sold out for example. I was able to get my changed my mind to get the 2012 Lunar .99999 coin that was already sold out. Sometimes reps will go the extra distance to satisfy their clients.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1024 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't find a rep. They find you. Last week I got an email with a name of a rep.

Today, I got a phone call from him (Chris), introducing himself by saying what he does and how he can help you.
He explained he worked for 10 years as a Mint rep and he does work on a commission basis.
The rep said there will be some new coins available for purchase tomorrow.
This is from a follow up email:

"As your account representative, I would provide you with:

• Exclusive access to limited mintage coins

• Access to higher quantity of strictly limited items

• Access to sold out items

• Order by email and email confirmation

• Special requests -future order date, split payments, split shipments

• Automatically order certain items

• Personalized sell-out alerts

• Order duplication prevention

• Faster turnaround on orders

• Access to an active waiting list

• Telephone calls for most launches

• A dedicated toll-free number to talk with me about your coin requirements

• Drop shipping for coin gifts to your family and friends"

Edited by MoneyPenney
04/29/2013 6:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mltung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MoneyPenny:

Trust your rep.

He has done all these for me. I reciprocated by sending a email to his boss commending him for service beyond and above the call of duty. He has been a rep for me for close to 10 years. He was promoted to Sr, Account Manager a few years back.

It is the :you kiss my ass, I kiss your butt thing.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1720 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  5:56 pm  Show Profile Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. I spent about $10k last year and almost $4k so far this year (most of which I haven't received yet ). No sign of a rep yet.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mltung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kuh_85

You should sig up with our rep ASAP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
669 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After asking if my rep wanted his name/email information made public, I received the following reply:

"That is a tough question and thanks for asking. All I can say is that I have to be selective with whom I add to my portfolio. Customer who buy over 1K minimum. If they buy gold coins, that's a great start. "

So, if you don't mind me 'fielding applicants' drop me a private message with your name (real) and I'll pass it along to him. That way, it'll be his decision based on your account at the mint - if you get a call back, and I can say "I did my part"

Best I can do people.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1715 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Access to sold out items" ..... lol .......so they are not very "sold out"...
Don't miss out and check my CCF Sales: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...llerId=26800
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05