Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade Coin Opinion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  10:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi, I need this coin for my collection. Please see link below. Please read the description...do you really think this is natural toning?
It kind of looks like it was in a fire...
Thanks for any responces.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1894-Rainbow-To...an_W0QQitemZ330300557174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item330300557174&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's probably natural, but it's not entirely attractive to me, especially at that price.
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it grades in the vf-20 range. I wouldn't pay what the seller is asking.
Edited by gawd0wns
01/13/2009 11:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mklpatrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that I am color blind, but in what world is that considered a rainbow tone?
Or am I missing something there?
Learn More...
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  11:51 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a rainbow fungus.
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chumpchange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like there was something on the coin like tape residue then it was cooked off.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6149 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  07:20 am  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It also looks like a VF to me.

And, looks like some corrosion or something on it, I would'nt pay that much for that particular coin.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the input....gpoing to pass on this one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2217 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  11:13 am  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree ... not pretty and more of a problem coin than a premium
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1551 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that coin the other day when surfing E-bay coins. Personally, I'd stay away from it. Three reasons:would only grade VG-10 at best, overpriced and appears to have corrosion. There is however, a nice problem free I.C.C.S., F-15, 1894 nickel for sale on E-bay. Starting with NO Reserve at just $1.00. Excellent KEY date coin that everyone needs in their collection, especially with a mintage of a mere 500K.
Current I.C.C.S. Population report states that there are less than 300 known to be higher than the one currently listed. With a survival rate of just 1-2% for this series, I would guestimate less than 1,000 survivors (raw/slabbed combined) world wide!

Glenn
Edited by glenzy1
01/14/2009 12:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the lead Glen, Im still searching for this listing....just having trouble scrolling through all the Chinese replica listings...in order to have a look see.
Regardless, lots of valuable opinion in this particular posting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05