Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How many American collectors of Canadian coins out there ?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
835 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2010  10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NickleHalfDime! Bought 10 Canadian coins today for two dollars each. Unfortunately a couple had been cleaned. Five bank tokens (1837, 1837,1844,1850,1852) and five one cent Victoria Dei Gratia Regina (1876H,1882H,1888,1893,1899) Cheers from down South! Happy New Year!
Valued Member
Canada
311 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2010  10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a collector of Canadian and American coins. I believe there is a logical reason Canadian coin bought in the US can be found cheaper than in Canada. The same goes for US coins in Canada. Its all about demand. Three years ago at a flea market in Canada I found An Indian Head cent 1877. It was in the back of a stock book that was buried behind the counter. The price of the coin was marked many years earlier, $250 dollars. You can guess what I did. This coin slipped through the cracks. A good lesson to learn for collectors who our on vacation in different countries.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2011  2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BadKarma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why, but I just recently started grabbing coins from the Great White North. I found a bunch in my cent rolls and just started with dollars and halves.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
638 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2011  2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not from the States, but I collect Canadian coins too at a per-type degree, even though they're not very easy to find in here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2011  2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been meaning to throw my name in this hat, but keep getting sidetracked.

I have a really nice collection of small cents back to 1920. Only missing the '23, '25 and '26, I think. Now I will start working on upgrades for them.

I have a great start to my nickel collection as well. I really love the ones with morse code on them.

All courtesy of the generosity of the awesome members here at CCF! I find very few cents roll searching way down here, but I keep every one I find.

I have since started picking up older large coppers that I stumble onto at local flea markets and dealers when I see them.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in Chicago, Illinois now. I spent several years in Detroit, Michigan, where lots of Canadian coins were in circulation, and really liked them.

There's just something about seeing the monarchs on the obverses. I was mostly familiar with the Machin Elizabeth II portrait during my time in Detroit ('80s), though occasionally I would see the Young Head.

Later I met a few Canadian friends on Facebook, and started exchanging coins with one of them. She sent me a few 50c pieces, which I had never actually seen in circulation. I was drawn to them immediately.

I've been collecting Canadian coins for several years now. Mostly 50c (1902-present), $1.00, 10c and a few cents, including some Edwardian and George V Large and some of the George V small cents.

I just started dimes pretty recently; surprised to see how many people on the forum don't like them, or like them the least out of all the denominations. I really like the Bluenose design, and the pre-1937s seem as classy and distinguished looking as the other Canada issues. Oh well.

Edited by DesGaulles02
10/19/2011 6:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add santafeboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does being a Canadian residing in the US count? If so I started collecting Canadian coins as a boy up north and recently got back heavily into them I find them bueatiful and use my metal detecting finds to buy more.My main interests are Victoria through George VI 25 and 50 cents
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  7:27 pm  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cringe every time I hear an American collector is looking for Key date Canadian coinage. Our Mickey Mouse mintages are soo low that if every American collector stopped collecting U.S. coinage for a mere month and turned all their attention to Canadian decimal (1858-1937)they would dry up the availability soo bad it would make a drought in the Sudan region of Africa look like a flood!
As it is right now, it is very difficult to obtain mintstate Vicky's and Edy's among Canadian collectors, then add to the mix collectors from abroad who have the $$$ resources to scoop up our Heritage, what are we left with?
I see it more and more frequently since collectors from other countries realize how low our mintages are and how inexpensive our coinage is compared to relative coinage from the U.S. It's going to be a future responsibility to Canadian collectors to keep Key date pieces in Canada and sell to Canadian collectors only. Any time I list high end pieces on E-bay, it is compulsory for me to block out all other collectors outside of Canada, therefore keeping Canadian coins within Canada for Canadians.
I don't mean any disrespect for other collectors outside Canada, however, I love this country with a passion and my Patriotism for it is unsurpassable! Let me know how you feel about my thought's?

Glenn
Edited by glenzy1
10/19/2011 7:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically, I am a Canadian collector of Canadian coins, but I am a permanent resident of the United States since 1997, so I would throw myself in this category - despite my predisposed bias!

My 11 year old son who was born here is working on his collection which includes both Canadian & U.S. coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember going fishing with my Dad in Ontario and getting the funny money. I also remember going to a Shell station and getting Prime minister medals I think around the same time the US was putting out the antique cars coins around 1969?
Anyway, I liked the Maple leaf design on the cents and the beaver on the nickels.
I have recently completed a set of the nickels and small cents and quite a few of the varieties. I also have some dollars from 1950 and up. Mint sets from the later 1950's to some point in the 90's and a bunch of commemorative coins.
We used to joke about how we didn't want any Canadian change when we went to a store and the cashier tried to sneak the coins in because the dollar was always stronger here in the US. Well that changed not too long ago didn't it?
I guess now it is about even but I always did like Canadian coins. Must be rooted in that great nostalgic fishing trip with Dad. I caught some nice fish too.
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im surprised really to see so many Americans collecting Canadian coins but since I am in the process of moving stateside its nice to see I wont be alone. A few more weeks and my collection will be residing in MO :)

Not to make anyone envious but since I knew I was going I've stopped roll searching but not roll gathering lol I will be bringing over 200$ in unsearched rolls along with my boxes of stored pennies :) Hopefully we can make some trades when Im there.

@ thenickelguy .. I remember those Prime Minister sets, I had one too, they also did the provincial flower set. I think it was 1970 or so they came out.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I cringe every time I hear an American collector is looking for Key date Canadian coinage. Our Mickey Mouse mintages are soo low that if every American collector stopped collecting U.S. coinage for a mere month and turned all their attention to Canadian decimal (1858-1937)they would dry up the availability soo bad it would make a drought in the Sudan region of Africa look like a flood!

Glenn:

I can certainly understand your concern. You have nothing to worry about from me, however; though I love your country's coinage, I can't afford any of the big key dates!

I'm satisfied with common dates in the best grades my price range allows. I won't be able to afford any of the dollar varieties for 1947, let alone the famous 1948. I'm not too optimistic about 1945, either. But it would be great to pick up most of the Voyageur series.

So, I do hope you won't discourage Canadian sellers from selling even common date coins to Americans or collectors from other nations.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
glenzy1 => on one hand I agree with your fears => if for some reason, the dudes from the States upped their game and started trying to buy-up all of our Canadian key-date coins, then "yes", it would be horrible for us Canadians who are trying to fill our coin albums ..... but on the Devil's right hand => the value of our Canadian key-date coins would sky-rocket and your collection's value would increase exponentially! (sweeeeeet)

=> so, one man's cringe, is another man's yippeeee!

However, I'm a collector, not a seller, so I agree => I'd prefer to graze around for 10 or 20 more years collecting my country's coins, before the rest of the globe has "my precious" in their crosshairs!

Hey, but please don't get me wrong => because all's fair in love and numismatic biz! (long live the hobby!) => CHEERS, EH!
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a gringo who collects greyside copper. It may surprise some that two of the three best Canadian large cent collections reside south of the 49th parallel.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2011  10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sralloway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was a kid in Connecticut (circa 1962), I began a paper route and began handling lots of change. That started my coin collections. Among the change were Canadian coins so I began cent and nickel sets. This year I finally completed both sets. In August, 1964, I bought 2 rolls of Canadian cents from a bank in Niagara Falls, ON. BU and still have them.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05