Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mignon - Paris

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
203 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2010  5:25 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add numismatist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Any idea of who issued this, when and its purpose?

The obverse has a female head with "MIGNON" to the right. The reverse reads: "DE MIDI À 2H.½ DU MATIN 7 RUE GRANGE BATELIERE AU PREMIER PARIS" on the reverse.

It is made of brass, measures 21.7mm and weighs 1.51 grams.

Thanks.

Phil

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2010  5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Waredu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richault (a music publisher) operated at 7 Rue Bateliere from about 1805 to 1823 in Paris. Perhaps it was an opera house after this because Mignon is an opera by Ambroise Thomas, written in 1866.

This coin, to me, looks like some type of advertisement about the opera being shown 2-1/2 hours after morning, in the midday (my French isn't that great) at the address of 7 Rue Bateliere.
Pillar of the Community
1190 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2010  7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The inscription means something like "From noon until 2 1/2 h in the morning, 7 rue (de la) Grange-Batelière, On the first (floor), Paris". Hmm, seems there used to be some different kind of entertainment at that address ... Two links in French:

http://www.terresdecrivains.com/Le-Venus-Bar
http://soleildanslatete.centerblog....-en-son-bar-

Christian
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2010  3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismatist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you for your research. Since the token looks like 20th century, I tend to agree it may have been issued by a "house of debauchery" and further suggest that Mignon may have been their "star!"
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
529 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2010  3:43 pm  Show Profile Check maudry's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you read French, here is something about a collector of such tokens.
http://www.ledauphine.com/drome/201...isons-closes
These tokens have been used to pay the services of the ladies. Nowadays they are quite rare and paid around 50 euro according that link.
searching cents to quarters, giving Euro coins and world coins from many countries:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=137740

searching contact to advanced collectors of french coins send me a message, if interested
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2010  8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismatist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks. I have it listed on eBay and have had many inquiries from French bidders on postage. On the first day a French man offered #25 + postage. The token finishes tomorrow so we shall see.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2010  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Waredu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we have the link?
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2010  4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismatist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sold to a French buyer for US$38. Sorrty I didn't see the question on the link.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2010  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maudry, Every time you say "If you can read French" you make me want to go take some language courses. LOL
France
1 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Un Anglais en France to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Brothel Token is a cloche and my example is so badly battered, it's difficult to make out all the detail - perhaps the result of a far-from-satisfied customer ?! The legend on the reverse seems to have caused some confusion so, just in case you don't get a President who can speak French (:-) here it is in the colloquial - "From Noon till 2.30 in the morning"; that's a long day (14.5 hours) for any one ! The article for which the link is given is interesting, revealing that Brothels here in France were only outlawed as late as 1946 (not that you'd believe that if you visited the Pigalle) and all of these Tokens are rare. They were purchased at 2.50 Francs from the "management" (Madame) and handed to the "service provider" who then passed them back to Management in return for cash. It was a way of stopping the ladies from engaging in some private enterprise but, presumably, it would not have precluded tipping ?!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05